I’m moving into a house that’s been empty for 12mths. It as card /key meters, but I want to pay by direct debit. I think there is debt on the meters. Is it possible to change meters ?

Hi @1950ann, When you move into a new property that has prepayment meters we’ll send you out a new gas card and electricity key. When you put these into the meter they should clear any debt that was left from before you moved in. Making sure you don’t pay for any energy you haven’t used.

You can change to credit meters (which means you can pay by direct debit) as long as you’ve had credit on your meters for one month but this would cost £120 per meter. If you want to get them swapped just email us on or call us on 0300 30 30 635, from Monday to Friday (9:00am to 6:00pm) to arrange a time that works for you.

Bulb are also beginning to fit second generation smart meters this year free of charge, these automatically send us your readings and don’t have to be changed if you switch to a different provider. You can add also your name to our waiting list now if you’d like to be one of the first people to get one.