my bill is inaccurate

simple maths.

statement says:
57 kWh @ 12.76p/kWh £ 7.32

my calculator says:
57 kWh @ 12.76p/kWh £ 7.27

while £7.32 would mean .012842 pence/kWh.

it’s only pennies, but it is wrong. do you agree?

Hey @loveit, good spot. You’re absolutely right, the numbers don’t look like they quite add up.

This is because all our billing is designed for the nice whole number readings submitted by yourselves. When we generate estimates though, they have a 1 decimal point degree of precision. You’ll be able to see this on the reads on your MyBulb account :slight_smile:

So the electricity reading estimates for your latest statement were actually 70,889.2 and 70,831.8. This adjusts the usage from 57 kWh to 57.4 kWh, which in turn pushes the energy cost up 5 pence to £7.32.

The formatting of our bills is based on feedback from our members, who preferred the simplicity of having 0 decimal places on the energy units and the clarity of 2 decimal places on the prices. We strive to be as clear as possible and are always looking for ways to incorporate your feedback going forwards. Do you think we should do it differently?

Thanks for the reply Rachel, I think the screen overview could be simplified and show roughly how much has been used and in time having the graph having previous years as an overlay would be an ideal way to compare usage. But the detailed bill should be, well detailed, and accurate. It would be nice to be able to download the monthly usage/bills and these would need to be accurate, I add the figures to my own accounts and that is where I found the discrepancy.

Hey @loveit , great feedback. I will pass this on.
Especially your idea of including previous years as a graphic overlay. Would be very interesting for long term trends.
You should be able to download your latest statements on your Bulb website portal under View Statements and Payments.
Let me know if you’re having problems finding it.
Enjoy the rest of your Bank holiday!

I can and so download the pdf bills. To be more clear, I would like to be able to ‘extract’ the monthly figures to copy into excel files. Which is not what I am doing on my bank holiday Monday. honest.

Ah, i see @loveit . That would indeed be handy for your personal accounts. I’ve added this thought to our technology feedback channel for the tech team to chew on. Don’t worry, your secret’s safe with us.

Hey @loveit, good spot. You're absolutely right, the numbers don't look like they quite add up.

This is because all our billing is designed for the nice whole number readings submitted by yourselves. When we generate estimates though, they have a 1 decimal point degree of precision. You’ll be able to see this on the reads on your MyBulb account :slight_smile:

So the electricity reading estimates for your latest statement were actually 70,889.2 and 70,831.8. This adjusts the usage from 57 kWh to 57.4 kWh, which in turn pushes the energy cost up 5 pence to £7.32.

The formatting of our bills is based on feedback from our members, who preferred the simplicity of having 0 decimal places on the energy units and the clarity of 2 decimal places on the prices. We strive to be as clear as possible and are always looking for ways to incorporate your feedback going forwards. Do you think we should do it differently?

How about rounding the estimates to 0 decimal points as well?

Hi @andreaguenther, we used to have the bills show the estimations to 2 decimal points. However, we changed this from 2 decimal places to 0 decimal places on the statement earlier last year after conducting some feedback with our members, who preferred the clarity of having it rounded. We understand that there are merits in having it formatted in both ways and we value all feedback from our customers :slight_smile: . If you have any other suggestions do fire away!

Hi @andreaguenther, we used to have the bills show the estimations to 2 decimal points. However, we changed this from 2 decimal places to 0 decimal places on the statement earlier last year after conducting some feedback with our members, who preferred the clarity of having it rounded. We understand that there are merits in having it formatted in both ways and we value all feedback from our customers :) . If you have any other suggestions do fire away!

I agree that rounded is better. So my suggestion was to round the estimate as well. I.e. don’t calculate using 70889.2 as the estimate (which doesn’t add up if you then only print 70889), but calculate using 70889. Real meter readings can only be whole numbers anyway, so why not estimate in whole numbers too? Then it all adds up… :slight_smile:

@andreaguenther That makes sense as well. Unfortunately, our system makes the calculations using the estimations with a decimal point which causes these discrepancies. We are always looking to see if we can improve our processes and it’s something we’re looking at :slight_smile:

I have looked at my last statement again, and still the maths just doesn’t add up.

I wish the statement was accurate. It is not only the estimates, but the prices too it seems…

• 3*.23 is .69 (not ,70 as on my bill). If the standing charge has been reduced (thanks for the reduction all the same) to 23.4p it shouldn’t read 23p…
  • 53 kWh at .1212 is 6.42, (not £ 6.47 on the bill). If the usage is 53.38kWh it should read that on the detailed calculation, if not on the meter readings.

The overview price can be rounded, but the calculations should be accurate, as that’s what a calculation is, not just a quick mental arithmatic.

Thanks!
Andy

Hi @loveit . Great question. In short, the maths don’t add up due to roundings.

6 x .233 = .699

The usage has been rounded down to 53. The estimate from 3.6 is 71,248.6 and the manual read is 71,302.0

This is a usage of 53.4

53.4 x .1212 = 6.47

The estimated readings arbitrarily have decimal points. We don’t use decimal points in manual readings, so why we’re using decimal points is a valid question and something we’re looking into.

@andrea raised a good point