My meter hasn't been checked since 1983.

Hi,
We are a low usage household and very conscious of saving energy. However, our meter hasn’t been checked since 1983 and our bills are astronomically high for a 3 bed semi and family of 4! I think there’s a fault - how do I find out about this and get it checked and rectified?

There is a test to check if your energy meters are working properly. This is called a burns test.

Essentially it either involves turning everything off or everything on and checking if meter is ticking over or not.

For electricity:

Turn off your power at the fuse box and check if the electricity meter is still clocking consumption. It should have stopped, as no electricity is being used – so if it’s clocking, it’s probably faulty.

For gas:

Start by turning off all your gas appliances and heating.

Turn on one item, such as a single gas ring, and then watch the meter for a few minutes. For a single gas ring the meter should only clock a few kilowatt hours over the course of five minutes. Make a note of the amount the meter clocks up, and tell us the figures you’ve noted.

We’ll be able to judge whether your meter’s working properly or not.

If you think that your meter is faulty, just give us a quick call and we’ll be able to organise for the meter to be replaced. You can reach us on 0300 30 30 635, from Monday to Friday (9:00am to 6:00pm).

Thank you!