My new Smart meter does not appear to show my economy 7 night usage

Hi,

Last week I had a smart meter fitted, great I thought, I can keep a close eye on my usage. The electricity usage was £67 / last week much more than I was expecting. I wanted to find out how much electricity I had used at night as being disabled I have a therapy pool. Our previous meter was economy 7 and the pool was heated at night on cheaper electricity. My tariff was 17.37p/day and 9.62p/night with a standing charge of 19.47p/day. I have pressed button “A” on the meter as the bulb booklet suggests to get the day usage figure, but by pressing button “B” it does not show the night usage figure? Have I been changed from Economy 7 without knowing this? If that is the case my costs will rise substantially and I want my old meter back. The Siemens engineer who fitted the meter wrote down his number if I had any problems, on texting the number and explaining the issue, a text has come back saying “I have the wrong number”. Could someone from Bulb look into and get back to me please?
Many thanks.
Potplantman

I believe you cycle though the tariffs by pressing the a button repeatedly, though I don’t know for sure. Still something to try.

Hi Izzy,
Thank you for your response. I have scrolled through the cycle but all it shows is the day tariff and standing charge, no sign of the night rate. Can someone from bulb explain please?
Thank you

Hi @Potplantman. I spotted your post here and spent (literally) months trying to get an explanation myself. After being sent instructions telling me to press the buttons on the meter, I finally worked out that the smart meter only shows the current rate which is active at the time you look at the meter. In other words, you can only view your night rate reading at night. Nobody at Bulb appears to be aware of this, but there you go! As my smart meter is not sending smart readings at present either, I have to take a reading myself before leaving for work at 6am. Ridiculous situation.

I doubt that helps you much, but maybe explains the situation at least!

Hi DJB23,

Thank you for explaining this, much appreciated.
Good luck with getting your meter sorted.

1 Like

Hello,
I seem to be having a similar problem, so I just thought I’d add to this thread. Whereas last month my meter displayed two readings, IMP R01 and IMP R02, which I could cycle through by clicking ‘6’ a couple of time, this month only IMP R01 is showing. I’ve tried checking the reader after 10pm, which, I assume, is the start of night time rates, but again only IMP R01 is showing. I am also able to get the total consumption and if I subtract the daytime consumption from that, the figure I get seems about right for night time consumption, but I’m not sure that’s a good approach.
Thanks for your help! :slightly_smiling_face:

I spotted your post here and spent (literally) months trying to get an explanation myself. After being sent instructions telling me to press the buttons on the meter, I finally worked out that the smart meter only shows the current rate which is active at the time you look at the meter. In other words, you can only view your night rate reading at night.
the off peak falls between 10pm-8am depending on your region, possible your off peak switches on at 11pm

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @skippy64 ! I just checked my meter after 11pm but sadly it’s still only showing IMP R01.

Unfortunately you wil have contact bulb or your DNO(probably quicker to email your DNO) get the off peak times for your area and carry on from there

I woke up just before 5am last night and still the night reading wasn’t showing so I suspect it’s a different issue in my case :confused:

I have flagged your OP so hopefully someone from bulb will come out of hibernation long enough to investigate further.

Just an update for the benefit of others who might have the same problem:
I scrolled further down the threads on this forum and came across someone a couple of months ago who seemed to have a similar issue. A bulb employee replied suggesting that he record a video while cycling through the meter and send it with a brief explanation to help@bulb.co.uk.
I did so yesterday and just got a reply saying
“It looks like the meter was reconfigured to a 1 rate meter when it came over to us, as this was the agreement that came over to us. This does look to be in error though so I have raised this with our team to get it updated back to 2 rate for you, this may take a couple of weeks though. I’ll keep you update on this through this email thread.”