My opinion of bulb has plummeted

I loved bulb when I first joined in 2018 - able to control how much I paid, clear bills, nice informal communication. But when I recently tried to decrease my monthly bill I wasn’t allowed as they predicted my usage would be higher. Whether that’s right or not, my account is £71 IN CREDIT and so I think I should be able to regulate payments considering it’s MY MONEY in the account.

I phoned and was given no leeway. I then went over my account history and queried a bill from April-May 2019. It was THREE TIMES higher than any previous or subsequent bills. (I didn’t query it at the time as I assumed I must’ve made a mistake somewhere.) I have yet to even have an acknowledgement of my e-mail, never mind an investigation started.

Today I have cancelled my DD as there is enough in my account to cover my bills for the next few months. And if there is no resolution to the query e-mail I submitted on 8 SEPTEMBER - ONE WEEK AGO - I will have no problem whatsoever in switching supplier.

5 Likes

Hi @laisydaisy Great to hear from a member who’s been with Bulb since 2018. Welcome to Bulb Community :slightly_smiling_face:

We have changed our system around payment amounts and the suggested payment is now the basis for any request to alter your direct debit amount.

As we take payment for the month in advance, your account should be in one month’s credit. So we can discuss the specifics of your account balance and the statement you’re querying I’ll respond to your email now.

Completely agree with this. Also a member since 2018 when Bulb was a revelation coming from one of the big 6.

The past 18 months has been a disaster. Our smart meter installation was a nightmare that took months to resolve. Customer service has been some of the worst we’ve experienced. We tried and failed to get our credit refunded last year and ended up having to reduce our direct debit to £5 to use it up instead.

We’ve just had an email telling us prices are rising and our DD will be increased to over £80 — almost double our actual monthly usage. Checking the app, Bulb are saying our historical usage is 50% higher than their own monthly usage figures are showing. There’s no chance I’m letting our account build up excess credit as history has shown it’ll be a nightmare to get back.

In fairness I’ve just come off with support who have told me they’ve fixed the amount manually so we’ll continue to pay a DD that covers our actual usage without building up daft amounts of credit, but I shouldn’t have to waste my time on this. I’m finally considering moving now as well.

6 Likes

Dear God! Stop considering and just move! I’ve just moved to Octopus! Bulb are proving to be awful!

6 Likes

Why are statements issued the day before a payment but after a reading so it always looks as though the account is in debit? My account is £33 in credit and the letter about the price hike says it will cost me another £5/month - fine, but then they say my account’s in debit (based on the last statement) so I’ll have to pay over £22 extra a month. That’s a rise of over 30%!! (current DD £60/month). I appreciate that they want me to have a month’s payment in hand but I think I should just be paying for what I use not lending them money. Do all utility companies do this now? I’m sure I never had to with the big companies.

5 Likes

My monthly direct debit bills have gone from £70 to £144. As a one bed room flat with no heating on (due to it being summer) you’d think that i’ve installed stat e of the art air conditioning. I cannot frankly afford to stay with this company and ill be contacting them first thing in the morning.

3 Likes

Hi @kayhalley The reason your payment is taken after your statement is the way our billing cycle works. We take payment for the month in advance, so you should have paid on your switch date and then been billed a month later. This means your account should stay one month’s payment amount in credit when you make each payment to us. The use of a consistent direct debit is to keep your payments consistent across the year, instead of high in winter and low in summer.

@jamieb2000 if you’ve been in touch today, hopefully you’ve been able to discuss your payments. If not please let me know and one of the Community team will discuss them with you

That is unreal.
What are Bulb smoking?

3 Likes

no idea, but if you find out can you let me know, as I definitely want some

4 Likes

My direct debit is increasing by £110 per month. Some to clear a debit (which will clear to a small amount on the next quarter) and the rest in price increases. I’m off to Octopus who have a far better deal. Looks like Bulb has made a huge marketing mistake with this communication and I doubt if they will be around for much longer. Shame as the start was quite good.

3 Likes

Same here, my DD is increasing to £78 per month from £56, it bears no resemblance to my usage and I’m currently in credit.Price increase bad enough but this is the real tipping point for me.
Well sorry Bulb, I’ve just switched to Octopus, estimated £52 per month…even if it’s slightly more it’s never going to be £78 is it?
They used to be so good, do they have a death wish as customers will be leaving in droves.

3 Likes

Also just switched to Octopus — trying to force ridiculous DD amounts on users that don’t reflect usage is insane, what were Bulb thinking.

2 Likes

They’re NOT therein lies the problem

2 Likes

Like many, the way BULB have handled my acct the last few months has prompted me to move supplier. Apparently my estimated bills thru Summer (when I was in hospital) were based on previous figures. These can only be from last Summer. The estimates are way over so not only am I in credit to the tune of nearly £200 but also in credit with electric. Last Summer I was abroad and hardly used any energy so God knows what they were looking at to get the ‘estimate’. To cap it all they then tell me they’re putting up my monthly payment by £13 for the forthcoming Winter but by their own calculations and the natty graph they show me, I’d still be £80 in credit by next March even sticking at my original monthly payment. Nice earner for BULB I suppose, 1.5 million customers money sat in BULBs acct.
BULB, you’ve let us down.

3 Likes

Having the same issue. Currently Paying £80/month and just received an email saying my payments are going up to £130 (!!)/month, due to predicted increase in use in the coming months.

Hmm, I’d rather not put money into my Bulb account that’s not owed. Bulb are right that my account is in debt, by about £60, so why not increase my payments to £90/month?

Seems odd… and there’s no easy way of speaking to someone to set the payment amount.

2 Likes

Just had my email and they have now TOLD me my payments are increasing by around £30 a month, I joined in 2018 and thought they were great, I could change the direct debit so I was always around £20 to £30 in credit every month, that was the great thing about Bulb, I was in control, it seems now Bulb are after their customers been in credit by two or three hundred pounds a month (think of all the interest Bulb get by having this in their bank???).
Maybe time to leave the sinking ship?

3 Likes

Yup, same… Received an email regarding increase of around 30 a month there too. Switched to Utility Point. bye bye Bulb

3 Likes

I’ve just had my email, 35% increase, I’ll be moving along with a lot of others by the sounds of things

3 Likes

Apparently I need to now pay £173 per month for 2 people. I am already £111 in credit after just 3 months.

2 Likes

I’ve got a 116% DD increase…can anyone beat that?

1 Like