"My usage" graph counting all electric usage at the day rate

For economy 7 users it appears the energy usage graph is incorrect. It looks to me as if it’s simply counting all electric usage as day usage, which vastly overstates the price.

I also think this is what’s happening with my electric usage chart too using Economy 7. The electric portion is showing nearly twice what it should be, nowhere near the monthly statement calculations which are correct.

This has been mentioned before so Bulb are definitely aware of the issue but I don’t believe it’s on the roadmap yet.

Thanks @mowcius you are so on it :+1: Owen

This has been mentioned before so Bulb are definitely aware of the issue but I don't believe it's on the roadmap yet.

Hi mowcus / @“Owen at Bulb” that link is a different - merely an improvement to show the day/night split which in itself is a great suggestion, however, first can we have the actual cost (day + night) corrected? Currently the usage appears to be something like ‘day + (night x 2)’ due to the wrong rates being applied.

Example figures for simplicity - as night usage is high (which is the point of Economy 7) the usage chart for September is showing £140 electric when actual combined bill, gas + electric is only £100 total (electric £80, gas £20).

• Gas £20
    +Electric £80 (Day £20 + Night £60)
    = Total £100.

The usage chart however shows Total £160 made up of Gas £20 and electric £140 (day £20 + night £60 + night £60)

I realise in reality this is likely arising due to (day KWh + night kwh) @ day rate where day rate is approx twice night rate, but the end result of usage being severely overstated is what the problem is.

First can we get the usage correct before enhancing the chart to show the drill down day/night split? Acheiving both if necessary would be a bonus though!

@Phillip_PAL Ahh, I see your distinction.

I imagine when initially conceived that graph may have showed kWh used, and then someone had the clever idea of making it show calculated costs instead, forgetting to take the economy 7 users into consideration.

@“Owen at Bulb”, do you know if the data for the graph is currently just combined KWh being turned into GBP, or will it be more difficult to implement this change for people with two rates?
Is it just currently doing (DayUse+NightUse)£DayRate when it should be doing (DayUseDayRate)+(NightUse*NightRate) or is the kWh usage combined elsewhere making it difficult to split?

Just bumping this thread, as I think the issue needs a response from @“Owen at Bulb” .

If it’s going to take a while to implement, perhaps a notice on the graph page for economy 7 users and a card on the roadmap would be good.

Morning @katherine244 I’ve raised this as a bug with our tech team. Sorry for not getting to it sooner.

@mowcius The roadmap is meant to be for features, but it would definitely be useful to show the bugs that we’re aware of and working on. How about we add a bug tracker column to the roadmap?

@mowcius The roadmap is meant to be for features, but it would definitely be useful to show the bugs that we're aware of and working on. How about we add a bug tracker column to the roadmap?
Sounds like a good idea!

I was thinking of it as a new feature to split the usage graph, but I guess the incorrect costs shown is a bug.

Yes the incorrect costs is awkward a note does not really suffice, you can’t compare one month to the next.

This past month I have used more day units this month but with slightly less total units overall yet the usage chart thinks the electric cost was less instead of more as it does not know that the mix consumed was more expensive.

@Phillip_PAL We understand that it’s quite annoying at the moment. One of our main philosophies at Bulb is that data wins, so the fact that our members are looking at incorrect numbers is not what we want!

Members are still looking at incorrect numbers as per here so this has still not been fixed. Any idea when this bug might be fixed as its been 6 month already!

@mcfetti we appreciate that this has lastest much longer than we would like. Our Tech team are working on it, but unfortunately it is not a simple one solution fixes all.

Obviously we want to make sure that everything is working perfectly, and that currently isn’t the case. We have been making lots of improvements to help members manage their energy more easily, which you can read about here.

Still no sign of this being fixed.

Hi @katherine244 I’ve flagged it up to our tech guys again, to see if we can get any sort of movement on this one :slight_smile:

Hi @katherine244 I've flagged it up to our tech guys again, to see if we can get any sort of movement on this one :)

Thanks. I know Bulb aren’t doing an EV tariff, but a fully functional Economy 7 tarrif is the first step to one.

No problem, hopefully we can get this running! EV’s are going to be a huge part of the uk energy industry over the next few years, and i absolutely agree that getting the bulb account working really well for economy 7 tariffs is important to people with EVs, so that you can keep track of your costs and usage in a nice simple format. I’ll certainly keep an eye on this one for you all.