New customer, payment taken twice

Hi,

I’m a new customer. They took the DD as they said they would then s week later they have taken the same amount. I was never told I would need to pay two months in advance when I signed up. Why have they taken two monthly payments in one month?

Thanks

Scott

Hi @Smith019,

Sorry to hear that - Bulb should have taken the first month ‘up front’ payment at the end of the switching process and then the next payment around one month later (for month 2). [edited: I did originally put at the ‘start’ of the switching process]

I would drop them a line on help@bulb.co.uk (or give them a call on Monday - https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001240291-How-can-I-get-in-touch-with-Bulb- ) to see what has happened. It’s possible their billing system had a snafu, the initial direct debit may have been delayed in the banking system causing an overlap, there was a delay in taking over one of your supplies (for example, the electricity switch started straight away, but the gas one was delayed by a week or two and therefore you had two ‘start dates’ and two ‘starting debits’ - but the total of which is the same as the initial direct debit should have been) or there has been another sort of issue.

Absolute worse case scenerio, you’ve got the direct debit guarantee to fall back on (see https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx ) and whilst you could ask your Bank to reverse the DD ‘today’ it’ll probably be a lot lot quicker just to ask Bulb - I’ve heard banks taking several weeks to reverse any direct debits and Bulb should be able to (if there has been a mistake) issue a refund within 3-4 days (of course, if there hasn’t been a mistake and it was just something like the initial DD being ‘split’ and your bank does reverse it, that’ll mean you’ll go into debt with Bulb).

Sorry to hear that - Bulb should have taken the first month ‘up front’ payment at the start of the switching process and then the next payment around one month later (for month 2) - but that’ll be around 14 days after you’ve switched.

@Smith019 That information is wrong. Your first payment is taken on the day that your switch is complete and you are a Bulb customer. The second payment should be taken on the same day the following month. You should only be making one payment each month. Contact them.

@RichyB You’ve got to make sure you’re not telling people the wrong thing.

Hi,

I’m a new customer. They took the DD as they said they would then s week later they have taken the same amount. I was never told I would need to pay two months in advance when I signed up. Why have they taken two monthly payments in one month?

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott, Bulb shouldn’t have taken two payments within a week, this is an error since your second payment should be taken one calendar month after the actual switch to Bulb.

Can I assume you know the second payment was to Bulb and not your previous supplier?

Your best bet is to contact the Bulb team direct during their working hours (possibly first choice is by telephone) their contact details can be found on this page: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001240291-How-can-I-get-in-touch-with-Bulb-

.Your first payment is taken on the day that your switch is complete and you are a Bulb customer.

Yep, sorry about that - corrected the post. Misremembered the timing from the ‘Well hello there’ email all new customers get.

@Smith019 Apologies for the double payment taken, this has been taken by mistake. I have requested the refund of one of the payments and this will be back in your account over the next 5 working days.