New customer. Smart meter not communicating with supplier

Hi, I’m a new customer (today), and my smart meter has stopped communicating (a week ago), with the supplier (now bulb). The red wan light is on full solid. I have had no problems with signal strength in 5 years of having the smart meter. How long does this go on before I can get someone to see if the meter is faulty, or if a signal problem had developed in the area?

If it’s a 5-yr old smart meter, then it’s likely to be SMETS1 at best (and might even predate that standard). Those generally go “dumb” when switching supplier.

There is a programme in place to gradually upgrade all SMETS1 meters to ensure they’re always smart, but it’s running seriously behind the original schedule.

You’ll probably have to revert to taking readings regularly and submitting them to Bulb to get accurate bills (the best time to do so is between the “DD is due” email and your payment date).

I would make sure you read the meter today, if this is your switch date, so that you can give Bulb an accurate opening read (which they will pass on to your previous supplier for them to issue a final bill).

No it’s not gone dumb. It went like this with my previous supplier the week before I switched. Sorry not one week ago as I stated previously (cold fingers), more like 4 weeks ago.

Hey @CJ1970,

Welcome to Bulb community! :wave:

@stevefoster’s response was rather spot on about SMETS1 meters.

I’ve just taken a look into your account and I see you just switched over to us. There’s a few things I want to double check, so I’m just sending you an email now :relaxed:

As with other people on this page, my smart meter is not sending readings to bulb. I have had no gas or electrify usage updates since August 2020.

I have tried to speak with someone on you “bot” and have wasted over an hour. I get to the top of the queue, then nothing happens.

PLEASE HELP this is the heaviest period of use and I have no idea if I am in credit or debit.

thank you

New customer here as well and app doesn’t read my smart meters. Says there’s been a problem and to check back later. I don’t have an IHD either so no idea how much energy I’m using. Chat bot doesn’t seem to work either so not exactly been a good start :pensive:

Hey @GMF - I’ve popped you a reply on another thread so please check that there.

@eightlegs - I’m really sorry if we’re not receiving smart meter readings yet. As your switch was only recent, I’d suggest waiting until your first bill comes through at which point we can see if we’ve had smart readings on the account yet. Let me know if theres any issues after that comes through. :smile:

1 Like

Hi GeorgieS

what is happening? I sent you the photograph as requested, answered you question about the date on the bottom of the sticker… and have heard nothing back from you?

Thank you

Hi, We have just moved to a new home and there was already a smart meter installed in our new property. The house is 3 years old. The last occupiers had Octopus energy but we switched to bulb immediately upon getting the keys. The smart meter we have only reads electricity consumption and does not have a user interface screen. Is there a way for us to get this upgraded to read both gas and electricity consumption, and have a user display? We also have a PV panel array of 9 panels and I’d like to know more about feed in tariff, and whether it is available to us, or not, and how to be able to see how much electricity we are generating ourselves. Unfortunately we could get no information from the previous occupiers. thansk all, John

Hi @sweentech/ John :wave:

Welcome to Bulb Community!

I merged your post with some similar queries and am happy to take a closer look. I’ve just sent you an email to get your account details.

Here you can find some further information on the feed-in tariff, but I can answer any questions on this when I have been able to access your account.

All the best,
Cara :bulb: