New gas meter readings mismatch after replacing old gas meter

The 17th of December 2021 an engineer from the National Grid replaced our old gas meter for a new one. Both the old and the new one are not smart meters.

Somehow, the engineer submitted the readings of both the old and new gas meter, which I did not know he could do, and I can see the readings in my “energy usage” menu on the bulb website.

The old one reading is 4401 and the new one reading is 16203, both the same date, 17th of December 2021.

I am a bit concerned about whether this will lead to an issue since the discrepancy between the old and new gas meters is so big that I may end up receiving a wrong bill.

Can you please tell me how to proceed?

Hi @Zavala thank you for posting on community! Please don’t worry about this. It’s quite common for a new meter not to start at 0, but to start at a higher number as some of them are refurbished. The engineer will have submitted the last reading on your old meter and the first reading on the new meter. These are recorded as “last” and “first” so you are not charged for the jump in reading at all, and we have them down as separate meters on our side. - Miriam :bulb:

Hi Miriam and thank you for your reply.

I received another email from someone at bulb whose response is a bit different than yours.

Below is the response.

Can you please send a picture of the new meter showing the yellow sticker and meter serial number.
Thanks,
Nontobeko

I replied the following

I am currently abroad for Christmas and I will not be back in the UK until January 3rd. I’ll send that picture as soon as I’m back home. Is that ok?
Miriam from Bulb replied to me the other day and said that everything was fine and the mismatch is common when replacing gas meters.
Do you have access to Miriam’s email and can you confirm everything is ok with her advice?
I hope you understand my concerns since the discrepancy between the old and new gas meters is enormous, which could easily result in the wrong bill of more than £10,000.

And her response was not very specific, so I do not know what will happen with the upcoming December’s bill

Thank you for getting back in touch.
Once you are back you can send the pictures then I will be able to confirm what Mirriam has advised.
Thanks,
Nontobeko

Can you please clarify what will happen with my December bill? I will not be able to submit that picture before the end of the month.

Hello Miriam and thanks for your reply.

I received an email from a person at Bulb but her response was not as clear as yours. Please see below.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Can you please send a picture of the new meter showing the yellow sticker and meter serial number.

Thanks,
Nontobeko

I replied the following

I am currently abroad for Christmas and I will not be back in the UK until January 3rd. I’ll send that picture as soon as I’m back home. Is that ok?

*Miriam from Bulb replied to me the other day and said that everything was fine and the mismatch is common when replacing gas meters. *

Do you have access to Miriam’s email and can you confirm everything is ok with her advice?

I hope you understand my concerns since the discrepancy between the old and new gas meters is enormous, which could easily result in the wrong bill of more than £10,000.

And her response was not very helpful since it did not clarify what will happen with my December’s bill.

Thank you for getting back in touch.

Once you are back you can send the pictures then I will be able to confirm what Mirriam has advised.

Thanks,
Nontobeko

Can you please let me know what will happen with my December bill? I will not be able to submit that picture before the end of the month.

Hello again Miriam.

I have some updates from Bulb and it seems the person dealing with my case finds OK to charge me for the wrong bill and fix it later.

When I asked what will happen with my December bill, she replied

Your december bill will be based on the readings once we have readings.

Once we have the photos if we have over charged you we will credit that in to your account.

Thanks,
Nontobeko

I replied the following

Hello,
Your responses are not clarifying much. From your email I understand that we will see how it goes and we will fix it later if there is any mistake. It is evident that the difference between 16203 (new meter) and 4401 (old meter) is enormous and that if you wrongly charge me for that difference my bill will be absurdly expensive? We are not talking about few pounds, you seem to be ok for overcharging me several thousand pounds, knowing that is wrong.

You do have readings. Bulb has the readings of the old gas meter and the readings of the new gas meter, both submitted the same day by the engineer. The differences are abysmal, hence my concerns.

I need a concrete answer, what readings will be used for my next bill? I will not be able to provide any readings since January once I am back.

Hi @Zavala, when you have a meter replaced the final reading from the last meter is put down as just that - a “final reading.” While the new one is uploaded as a “first reading” - this is the same as when someone joins for the first time. So we don’t bill for any difference between the two. And our system records them as coming from two different meters. – Miriam :electric_plug: