New house shock bill

Hi I just moved into a new house and decided to retain the bulb service. I have just been sent a message that my energy use since I moved in on 28 August is over £400. Heating not on much. How can this be? Is it possible that the final readings by previous owners are wrong? I can only think there must be a gas leak. Any ideas?

I am sure Bulb will address this issue for you. It could be a bill from the previous owners.
In the meantime did you take readings when you moved in? If so how does the usage (kWh) compare with what is on your bill.

Hi thanks

Yes Bulb corrected the problem. It was usage by previous owners.

Thanks Bulb for sorting this out so quickly