New house with solar (sell back or use somehow)

Hi all,

We move into a new build with 4.2kwp solar panels in April and we are currently supplied by Bulb in our rental (“Go Bulb!!”).

Of course we want to take Bulb with us… but how the heck does excess solar power work? Will Bulb buy any we don’t use or are we better off using it to heat our immersion (a friend said he does that). Of course I like the idea of a Tesla Battery but its not very cost effective yet.

Were do I start?!

Hi @brooky_agb we don’t yet have a Feed In Tariff, so your solar panels will have to stay with your current supplier. Don’t worry, it won’t cause any complications if you have that on a different supplier to your electricity.

We’re working hard on building our Feed In Tariff, so hopefully soon in the future you’ll be able to bring it over to us too :slight_smile:

@brooky_agb, right now you’re definitely better off using the energy yourself if you can (charging an electric car, running washing machine/dishwasher when it’s sunny).
With 4.2KW of panels, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll have an export meter, so until smart meters do everything, you will get the export tariff rate for 50% of your generation. Therefore it’s advantageous to use as much of your solar as you can, because you’ll still get paid that 50%.

When smart meters accurately monitor the grid export, you’ll probably still be better off using it yourself though, as the export tariff is under 5p/kWh and the energy you buy is >11p/kWh.

In the UK I doubt that house batteries will ever make much sense without significant incentives as with the limited sun we get, the time to recoup the cost is a very long timeTM.

Just remember that although you may have a 4.2kw system the inverter will only produce a maximum of 3.68kw as this is the maximum you’re allowed to put back into the grid unless you apply for a DNO for larger feed in.
ATB Dan

Just remember that although you may have a 4.2kw system the inverter will only produce a maximum of 3.68kw as this is the maximum you're allowed to put back into the grid unless you apply for a DNO for larger feed in. ATB Dan

Given the date of the OP I think you’re a bit late to the party with this.

Bumping old threads helps no one. I can guarantee you now that someone is going to read this thread and the now out-of-date info given by Will at Bulb, and get confused because they didn’t notice the date.