New Sign In

Anyone else having problems signing in with the new e-mailed Link?

Every time I click on the link I’ve been sent, I get re-directed back to the, “put in your e-mail address and we’ll send you a link so you can sign in” page.

Kath.

I wouldn’t be able to tell you I cannot sign in!! I have exactly the SAME PROBLEM. Been given £50 credit (Apparently) but have still been billed £58 for my first month. Surely it should only be £8 but can I double-check these things? Nope not for the moment.

Unable to enter my meter readings this month as new sign in system not working.
Nothing happens when I click on ‘Email me a link to sign in’.

Indeed you Bulb ‘boffins’ might think your new sign-in system is better for us, but this particular ‘us’ prefers the more conventional logging on system you had in place. I thought I could bookmark the newly signed-in account but nope: probably that’s part of your new security approach.
Lets see how it goes…

The new sign in is working for me but I do question whether this level of security is really necessary for an online energy account. It’s described as “a couple of clicks” whereas the reality is 22 keystrokes/clicks.

Indeed you Bulb 'boffins' might think your new sign-in system is better for us, but this particular 'us' prefers the more conventional logging on system you had in place. I thought I could bookmark the newly signed-in account but nope: probably that's part of your new security approach. Lets see how it goes...

It would be much better if you only had to do that once per device and then whenever you type the email address again it knows you’ve already done the security checks before and lets you in.

That or go back to the old email and password… If its good enough for most banks, credit card companies and mortgage companies where security is much more important then it should be good enough for an online energy account where the worst you can do is change payment details(someone else can happily pay my bills if they want!) or change a direct debit amount…

For those of us that use password managers this new method is actually slower and less convenient. It is also less secure since email is not guaranteed to be encrypted throughout all stages of transmission, depending on which mail service a user has the email could be transferred in plaintext.

For those of us that use password managers this new method is actually slower and less convenient. It is also less secure since email is not guaranteed to be encrypted throughout all stages of transmission, depending on which mail service a user has the email could be transferred in plaintext.

Exactly,previously it was just 2 clicks.

I agree. I personally dislike email auth in.

A 2-factor auth via SMS might be a better workflow.

I agree. I personally dislike email auth in.

A 2-factor auth via SMS might be a better workflow.

Unless like me you don’t use a mobile - I know we’re a very rare breed these days but we do still exist!

Thanks for all your comments on the new sign in method, keep letting us know your comments on the changes as we want to know how we can improve the whole experience online.

Hey all, a bit more feedback to your comments regarding technical issues.

@katharine8007 and @mark2533 , are you sure you’re clicking the latest link that is sent to you? If you click the button multiple times, only the most recent emailed link is ‘active’. All previous ones automatically expire and will just take you to the login page again. We’re working on adding a clear message to let you know that the link is actually expired. Can you let me know if you’re still having issues?

Also, @mark2533 I’ve refunded your referral credit to your bank account. It will arrive in 5-10 working days :slight_smile: We like to let our members decide how they’d like to use their credit as some like it just left on the account.

@michael591 can you let me know what device and browser you’re using to login? That sounds like an issue with the button. So long as you have entered your email address and pressed enter, the email should send to your account.

The new way of logging in is designed to make things simpler and save the hassle of remembering passwords. We’ll be tracking the success of this new way of doing things and as @danp mentioned, your feedback is taken into account.

Please also continue to let us know of any issues with logging in so we can work to iron out any kinks :slight_smile:

Hey all, a bit more feedback to your comments regarding technical issues.

@katharine8007 and @mark2533 , are you sure you’re clicking the latest link that is sent to you? If you click the button multiple times, only the most recent emailed link is ‘active’. All previous ones automatically expire and will just take you to the login page again. We’re working on adding a clear message to let you know that the link is actually expired. Can you let me know if you’re still having issues?

Also, @mark2533 I’ve refunded your referral credit to your bank account. It will arrive in 5-10 working days :slight_smile: We like to let our members decide how they’d like to use their credit as some like it just left on the account.

@michael591 can you let me know what device and browser you’re using to login? That sounds like an issue with the button. So long as you have entered your email address and pressed enter, the email should send to your account.

The new way of logging in is designed to make things simpler and save the hassle of remembering passwords. We’ll be tracking the success of this new way of doing things and as @danp mentioned, your feedback is taken into account.

Please also continue to let us know of any issues with logging in so we can work to iron out any kinks :slight_smile:

@rachel I only clicked once on each link that I was sent last night, however all seems to be working now.

To me this seems like a step backward security wise. If someone hacks my email account or obtains the address, then they will have very easy access to my Bulb account, as no password is required to sign in. I do not like this new ‘sign in’ at all.

I can’t sign in at all (except to the Member Community!)
For me also the “Email me a link to sign in” does nothing. I tried both Firefox & Vivaldi browsers but no sign of any email links in the last 20 hours. I see it is working for some people now but there still seems to be a problem, for me at least.

I need to register a new debit card as the one you just tried to debit has expired. If I can’t log in, I’m afraid I can’t pay you.

John

Email login is a folly!! It assumes that the users email is secure and does not get hacked!! Email addresses are easily obtained or guessed so what stops any unscrupulous attacker effecting a DoS by bombarding your website with bogus requests for login? As others have stated, SMS One Time Passwords are a much better 2 factor authentication method that is widely used among banks and other major organisations.

I don’t like the email sign in method for 3 reasons,
Responsibility - You’re just throwing Bulb security in with whichever email security your users do (or don’t) have. Your devolving yourselves of responsibility there.
Security - A hacker gets into my Bulb account for free when they hack my email. And then I can’t log in to do anything about it because I need to access my email to log in. If my email get’s hacked I’ll have enough to worry about without worrying about my energy account as well.
Convenience - Before I’d come to Bulb.co.uk and simply log in. (My password manager makes this nice an easy). Now I come to Bulb, click a link, open a new browser, navigate to my mail, log in, find the email, click the link access my account. That is not more convenient.
I’d vote for you to revert to the traditional username password system.

No-one else uses this method because e-mail isn’t secure!
Also, a service that’s a pain to use is likely one that won’t get used…

Email login is a folly!! It assumes that the users email is secure and does not get hacked!! Email addresses are easily obtained or guessed so what stops any unscrupulous attacker effecting a DoS by bombarding your website with bogus requests for login? As others have stated, SMS One Time Passwords are a much better 2 factor authentication method that is widely used among banks and other major organisations.

Emails are probably the 2nd highest thing hackers want to get into (after bank accounts) because once a hacker has got into your email they have access to almost any account they want via the reset password links. So i’d say our bulb account is now less secure that it was before… Or put it another way the biggest energy company in the Uk (BG) don’t see the need for any such security like this, so why should a small energy company see the need to go a different way on security.

I agree with all the other comments on here about this being a terrible idea.

Email me a link to sign in does not appear to be working. I have tried over 2 days and no joy.
Using Firefox. It states to make it simpler but going by the comments on here it is anything but simpler.