New smart meter didn’t submit latest reading

I had a new smart meter installed on 30th July and the engineer said he would submit my last meter reading for me, then the device would from then on. However I’ve recently had my latest bill which is quite a lot higher than normal due to them having to use an estimated reading. So obviously a reading wasn’t sent. Very annoying, these things are supposed to make life much easier but it’s already causing me stress! The smart meter also keeps showing the lightning bolt even though it’s sat right next to our WiFi box!

I had a new smart meter installed on 30th July and the engineer said he would submit my last meter reading for me, then the device would from then on. However I’ve recently had my latest bill which is quite a lot higher than normal due to them having to use an estimated reading. So obviously a reading wasn’t sent. Very annoying, these things are supposed to make life much easier but it’s already causing me stress!

There are ongoing problems with Bulb smart meters. Read a few threads on here.

The smart meter also keeps showing the lightning bolt

The smart meters are the things directly connected to your incoming electric and gas supplies. You’re looking at the In Home Display.

The lightning bolt means “electric” and the flame means “gas”. That’s showing you what energy source it’s displaying.

even though it’s sat right next to our WiFi box!

Smart meters don’t use WiFi, so that’s irrelevant. Ideally your IHD needs to be within a few metres of your electricity meter. In fact, putting it right next to your WiFi access point might actually be making things worse in terms of the IHD reception.

There seems to be two problems here. The first is Bulb not handling the meters correctly. The second is you not understanding how the system works, which is not unusual given no instructions are provided.

Sorry when I say smart reader I mean the in home display… It says no data available with a lightning bolt quite often. And I was told to keep it near the WiFi box for best signal? So confused!

Sorry when I say smart reader I mean the in home display... It says no data available with a lightning bolt quite often. And I was told to keep it near the WiFi box for best signal? So confused!

This is a common problem, it’s not just you. Take a look at this thread and fill out the form. Don’t expect a quick (or even permanent) fix any time soon.