No Reply From Bulb Regarding In-Home-Display Issue

I recently had smart meters fitted for both electricity & gas. Following the installation, only electricity usage is displayed on the In-Home-Display, with no gas readings. The installer said that this would sort itself out in a couple of days, or that Bulb would be in touch to rectify the issue. The installation took place on 01/09/2020, I have messaged Bulb about the problem and received no reply. There seems to be a common thread on this forum that customer issues are not dealt with promptly or are completely ignored. There are other suppliers out there wanting my custom, it is in your hands Bulb, if you want to retain my custom. What is the point in installing this technology if it is not thoroughly tested beforehand to make sure it works? Where is the follow up, I presume the installer submitted a report saying the installation was dysfunctional?

@Itsagas Welcome to our community :wave:

I’m really sorry that the engineer informed you we’d be in touch. I can see you sent your email on Tuesday and we do endeavour to reply to all emails within three days. I’m going to review your account and send you a detailed response about your smart meter shortly.

Many thanks for your prompt reply and await your response.

Is that just the target? What’s the current timeframe? I’d replied to an email on the 23rd September, but as yet haven’t had a response. I had to contact via live chat for one of the issues because it was time sensitive.

Hi @ryan4257

Whilst that is our aim, inflow has been much higher as of late. This is because of a few things, such as our recent price change and the start of the winter months. We’re doing our best to keep within that 3 day target but are prioritizing urgent cases and vulnerable members, so some emails are taking longer than normal to get to.

I can only apologize for this, but as you state for time sensitive issues our online chat service is available or you can call on 0300 303 0635

Thanks for the info.
I did contact live chat for the time sensitive issue and that’s partially resolved.
I’d worried my email was lost, but I’m happy to wait longer for the other issues.

Hi Sophie,

Just for transparency and to let other customers considering a ‘smart’ meter what they may encounter, I have copied and pasted your concluding email to my private email account. Quite frankly, it is a joke and I raise again my argument of what is the point in installing this technology if it is not going to work? Reading through your reply, it is ambiguous in that the electricity data is being transmitted and obviously connecting to the Home Area Network and to the communications hub but not the gas data. The lines of communication appear to be working otherwise there would be no data transfer whatsoever. I note on the forum that other people have exactly the same problem which affects the gas data only. Perhaps you can shed some light on that and give an explanation?

Below is a copy of Sophie’s email

Oct 8, 2020, 14:33 GMT+1

Hi *******(Itsagas),

Thank you for getting in touch.

I’m really sorry that there’s been an issue with your gas smart meter installation. I apologise that the engineer informed you we’d be in touch. This isn’t something we promise and whilst the engineers are responsible for installing the meters, they work for a third party company and aren’t aware of the process behind remotely connecting the meters or how/when we get in touch with members.

I’ve taken a look into your account and unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to fix the gas issue at the moment. I’ve left some more information below.

During your smart meter installation, we can see that the engineer had some trouble connecting your gas/electricity meter to the smart network. This process is called commissioning. There are various, complex errors that could have occurred during the commissioning process, and we’re investigating why these may happen and finding a fix. Although we cannot confirm at the moment which error your commissioning hit, I’ll explain our two most common ones.
The first error we are facing is connecting meters to the Home Area Network, which links the meters and the communications hub. If your meters fail to join this network, we cannot communicate with them or receive their readings.
The second error is uploading Bulb’s security credentials onto the meter. If we’re unable to upload our credentials, we leave the meter in a dumb mode for security reasons.We’re working on remotely solving the root cause of these errors, and various other ones.

At Bulb HQ, we are also working on ways to try and connect your meter to the network without the need for an engineer visit. We hope to commission the meter remotely by the end of the year. It’s not always the case that another engineer visit will fix the issue, as our engineer wouldn’t have left your home without trying everything they could to connect your meters to the smart network. Because of this, we’re not yet able to send an engineer out as we need to look into the error first. Since your gas meter wasn’t commissioned, your In-Home Display won’t show your gas usage.

This also means we’ll need you to continue to submit gas/electricity readings to us, otherwise we’ll have to estimate your statements. You can do this in the same way as before, by clicking “Submit a meter reading” in your Bulb Account.

If you’re not sure how to take manual readings, please follow our guide. I’m really sorry that we are unable to resolve this now. We hope that we will be able to commission your meter later this year when we have developed the necessary tech.

All the best,
Sophie