Old type smart meters

Bulb have messaged me, saying that the 1st Gen Smart meters can be read by bulb from 14th August. GREAT NEWS.
So, I do not have a indoor display, I think over the years it got chucked.
How can I get a new Smart meter Display?

2 Likes

Agree this is great news! It’s been more than a couple of years since they promised this would happen but, at last, it has. No more having to go to the spider cupboard to read the bleedin’ thing.

However, I’m in the same position as the OP. How do I get a IHD to replace the one that stopped working with my previous supplier?

1 Like

I am happy providing readings and would really rather Bulb did not try and read my smets1 meter. The account works fine as it is.
Anyone know if one can opt out of connecting the smets1 meter?

1 Like

Hi @ccc

Unfortunately, you’re not able to opt out us reading the meter remotely. I would recommend keeping the meter set at 1 reading per month and you can also continue to submit manual reading too if you prefer doing it that way.

@jenks1 - Unfortunately, we are not able to provide IHDs for these meters. As we were not the installing supplier we are unable to provide one. Do you still have your old one? We should be able to get this working for you.

1 Like

I no longer have the old one. It’s been a while but I think my previous provider wanted it back for repair and it never got returned to me. Maybe I moved to Bulb before they got to, not entirely sure. Anyhow, bottom line is I don’t have one.

Where can I get one? When it was working it was really useful in tracking down wasted energy use in the house. Despite my initial cynicism, it drove several changes of behaviour in our household related to energy management.

1 Like

I’m really sorry but in this scenario, we’re not able to send a new IHD. As we did not install this type of SMETS1 meters we are unable to provide a new IHD. I’m very sorry about this.

1 Like

I have managed to find a new one on eBay for £12 boxed. I have checked supplier website, just have to pair it with the meters. If no joy, then it’s leave Bulb and switch supplier.

1 Like

@Noah_at_Bulb
Thanks for telling me where I can’t get one (ie my current electricity supplier). I wonder if you can point me where I can get one. A large part of the benefit to me (and the energy economy) disappears without the IHD. As a supplier keen to project a “green” approach one might have thought that Bulb would be eager to help their customers out in this regard rather than dismiss them quite so summarily.

I’ve waited patiently for more than two years for Bulb to be able to use the Smart Meter installed by my previous supplier and now they can they seem to want to maintain any benefit this offers for themselves. One can begin to see how the conspiracy theorists, who want us to believe that Smart Meters are simply a charter for energy companies to maximize their profits, get their leverage.

Noah, you might want to open a discussion with your management to see if they want to maintain what seems to be a most unhelpful position before it hits social media and the consumer organizations with the reputational damage that might follow.

In the meantime, it looks like I will be following Michael’s lead to become a customer of eBay and prepare myself for a departure from Bulb.

2 Likes

I am also surprised that Bulb has made us wait almost 2 years, then offer no help with IHD, which I am sure they could provide for a small charge.
I think there is a great risk of customers leaving after so many promises

1 Like

Hi @jenks1 & @michaelgill08

If you have Chameleon IHDs from your previous suppliers, we can try communicating with them directly but they’ll need to be connected to WiFi. You can then try the fix linked here to pair the IHD to the meters: https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/smart/ihd-issues

Otherwise, if you have secure SMETS 1 meters that we’re taking reads from again, we can add you to the waitlist to have an IHD sent out. However, we have limited stock of these so cannot guarantee when they’d be sent. We also aren’t manually posting them at the moment as the team hasn’t returned to the office.

If your SMETS 1 meters aren’t communicating with us and sending reads, then we need to wait for them to be enrolled onto the DCC smart network before we could sort any type of IHD. I hope this helps.

1 Like

The meters are SMETS 1 Secure Make
Please add me to you list.
The email from bulb stated you will be reading from the 14th August.
I have ordered an original IHD by secure, would I get any help in pairing it etc?
Michael

1 Like

Thanks @CJ_at_Bulb,
This seems like a much better (dare I say “customer centric”) response to our issue.

The email you sent me says that you’ll be taking readings from my SMETS1 meter in a few days’ time (huzzah!).

Please add me to the list waiting for an IHD. I understand this may take a while but, of course, I’ll wait for you to re-stock. Knowing one is coming is sufficient for me to return quietly to my box.

1 Like

Likewise please add me to your waiting list
Many thanks

1 Like

@jenks1 and @michaelgill08, I have added you to our IHD request form :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! Much appreciated.

James

2 Likes

Many thanks, appreciated

2 Likes

Hiya
Could you please add me to your IHD waiting list too.
My last meter reading said smart so I think you are getting my readings already.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi all @udhayan @michaelgill08 @jenks1

We’ve had a further update from the smart team on this. First generation In Home Displays are completely different to second generation ones, meaning ours wouldn’t be able to pair to your meters if we sent them out to you.

The smart team have confirmed that unfortunately it’s not possible for us to send replacement IHDs to members with Secure first gen smart meters, even if we’re now connected to the meters themselves. I’m really sorry for the confusion on this.

1 Like

That’s not the news we wanted to hear.
If I purchased a IHD for my secure meters would bulb Assist in pairing etc?
Michael

1 Like

Hi @michaelgill08,

I’m really sorry about this frustrating situation. We can only communicate with IHDs that were given when their Secure meter was initially installed. If you don’t have one anymore, we will not be able to provide a new one.

Secure IHDs are completely different to the SMETS2 IHDs that we have and give out after a smart installation. This is why we can’t send a new one.

Also, if you purchase and IHD online, we will not be able to pair it. I would also highly advise against purchasing an IHD online as it is technically the property of the energy supplier.

1 Like