OMG unbelievable amounts of money!

Hi anyone who can help me ?
I was automatically switched to bulb on the 1st jan and suddenly my smart meter started to really gobble up money like it has gone out of fashion ! i telephoned the switching company they said nothing to do with us contact bulb , i spoke to bulb (yes i actually managed to get through!!) and the chap was sympathetic but not helpful and come out with the oh its a seasonal increase ,until i remided him i had switched mid winter ! ever since we have been paying three time as much as we were before the switch ,now extreemly unhappy with the lack of resolve i have personally switched back to my original providers however until bulb release the meter handling im still broke it is a real case of heat or eat in my household with a 7 month old baby and two other children of 10 and 12 we have never been so poor owing to some form of metering discrepancy ,we do not have any debt i want an explanation asap before we end up sitting in the dark and freeze ??

Hello!

Probably won’t be of any help but I have been in a similar situation. I have moved into a new flat in November and the provider in place was already Bulb.
I am surprised to see that my bills now show that I am using 45kWh per day!!! This is pretty much £300/month!!!
My bills have tripled compared to any flat I have been in previously - it is unbelievable

I have also suspected a metering discrepancy - would be keen to get some explanation.

Is your smart meter a Landis+Gyr 5235a model by any chance?

L & G is the brand of meter commoney fitted by Siemens and MDS on behalf of bulb.
More likely to be bulbs decrepid accounting/billing system than the meter per se’

Notice you say meter rather than meters one is wondering if you were on E7 with your old supplier and during the switch you have been changed to single tariff, this would explain the sudden eye-watering increase

Hi @shamus400,

Welcome to our Community Page :wave:

I have sent you an email now to help get to the bottom of your enquiries for you!

Best,
Diana

Hi @schumifoxx,

I have taken a quick look into your account now for you and your bills do seem to be based on your accurate meter readings. I have sent you an email with further information on this. Please do respond if you have any further enquiries and I’ll be happy to look into them for you :+1:

Best,
Diana

Hi I have just swapped and had same problem. I was using about 120£ a month when cold on gas and electricity. Ive done that it 2 weeks with bulb. And the email i had said i could spend 120quid on s bulb engineer to come out. Notjing in my household has changed. So fed up. Def switching back and will be posting everywhere I csn about what a rip off its been!

this is exactly the same case for me. The meter readings are so high. Who knows a cheaper energy supplier

Most of them, apart from the “BIG 6”, however it would be somewhat unethical for me or others to post them on here.

I dont mind saying but i have just gone straight back to Utilita where i was being charged a fair rate and we could exist and afford to eat !.

The added bonus being that if you had smets1 meters installed by them your IHD will work.

Skippy yes it was installed by Utilita so as you say our system will work as it should ,it was switched at about 4am this morning .I was in emergency credit with the electric by about eight quid but in credit on the gas by about 21 quid so i will await the fallout when the office system decides to take the owing from the credit left on the gas and refund the 21 quid which magically disappeared in the early hours …i would imagine that would be far too easy to undertake and they will demad the debt and refund me at the same time lol

Hi @karbrts,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear this. I can see my colleague Isabella has raised a complaint and has recently responded to your enquiry. Please do direct any ongoing queries or concerns there, so they can be addressed by my colleague within the same complaint thread!

Hi @dinmaxox,

I’m sorry to hear this. I have taken a look into your account now and can indeed assure you that you have only been charged based on the energy that you have consumed. I can see that the usage between December to January was slightly higher than previous months, so here it may be worth analysing which appliances were possibly used more so than usual during this time. It may also be worth just taking a look at your readings every few days or so, to see when it does increase based on which appliances have been used. If there is anything else we can help you with please do let us know!

Best,
Diana

I am also having this problem as well. I have been with Bulb since the 5th and I’ve already put £70 of ELECTRIC on including today because it said that we had less than a day left. I’d like to know how my electric can cost so much when my duel tariff is cheaper!?

omg the same old flannel !
""I’m sorry to hear this. I have taken a look into your account now and can indeed assure you that you have only been charged based on the energy that you have consumed. I can see that the usage between December to January was slightly higher than previous months, so here it may be worth analysing which appliances were possibly used more so than usual during this time. It may also be worth just taking a look at your readings every few days or so, to see when it does increase based on which appliances have been used. If there is anything else we can help you with please do let us know!

Best,
Diana “”

funny that they said that to me until they realized i had only been with them for 18 days …
i told them i was using pretty much as much as the previous cold months with no change ,it seems to me they try and make you look daft by assuming the issue is your fault and not their equipment !, all the time ripping innocent people off and rodgering them stupid.
Ive had it now with this lot and gone back to UTILITA ,its been a bumpy few weeks with this nonsense a few little teething issues with utilita app but nothing i cant sort ,at least i am not being ripped off by a broken smart metering system and an incompetent company whom can not sort issues out efficiently.

1 Like

That’s funny because that’s ALSO what I heard when I contacted them as well through the “bot” online help and then I was told that it might cost me up to £125 to get my meter calibrated … which is really funny because I never had an issue with the meter with my old supplier, only with this one, so it really makes no sense. Changing supplier by law is supposed to be easier, not this bunch of rubbish. Really regretting my choice now!

Hi @RGLeeblut, a meter accuracy test does cost £120, as my colleague outlined. We do recommend this as a last resort though. It’s very rare for a meter to start recording usage inaccurately (93% of meters submitted for accuracy testing are found to be operating within statutory limits), since higher usage can often be explained in other ways. For example, if your property has changes in usage, using more energy because of the weather, and so on.

If you don’t believe this is the case, we can organise for an engineer to perform an accuracy test on your meter. If your meter is found to be running outside of statutory limits (+2.5% and -3.5% for electricity and ±3% for gas), the cost of this job and the subsequent meter exchange is covered by Bulb (your account is credited for the sum previously debited).

Lou :stars:

Hilarious the excuses are laughable ! please note folks who are following this with interest as the usual bull###t is usually enough to fob most people off ,i have successfully switched and my meter has reverted back to NORMAL without any intervention to a so called engineer visit ,all i can say is one day just one day these villains who fob you off while making millions behind your back will either be prosecuted or grow a conscience and get the issue sorted … we can all dream eh ? switch now and settle your hearts it easy to do so ,bye bye my bulb friends im off to greener pastures.
remeber SWITCHING IS KING you can vote with your feet .

1 Like