Opting out of a smart meter

Given that the main reason the government wants to roll out smart meters is to enable “smart pricing” - ie making electricity more expensive in peak hours in the evening and at weekends - why on earth would working people volunteer for taking part in the roll out? If you have a 9-5 job and you opt for a smart meter your are effectively a turkey voting for christmas…

Or have I missed the point here?

Given that the main reason the government wants to roll out smart meters is to enable “smart pricing” - ie making electricity more expensive in peak hours in the evening and at weekends - why on earth would working people volunteer for taking part in the roll out? If you have a 9-5 job and you opt for a smart meter your are effectively a turkey voting for christmas.....

Or have I missed the point here?

True

Think of it another way. If you’re a working person who commutes by an electric car your charging will want to be done while its cheapest. Charging will be your largest cost in the long run so having it cheaper at night may be beneficial.

But yeah I agree, it’s an ill thought out scheme and hasn’t been planned properly.

They are now trying to attack the climate change angle with the campaign about using smarter energy. It’s all nonsense as far as I can see. Using energy is the same whether you have a smart meter or not, all it does it tell the generators who uses it at what time.

My meters work perfectly fine so why change them.