I’m on a low income with two disabled children I need my overpayment back asap

Hi there @Carolinebsbacan I’m afraid I don’t quite understand what you mean, are you talking about the credit on your account? If so, then we can indeed refund some of the credit in your account, down to a minimum of one month’s worth of credit in your account (though we’d recommend keeping a little more, about one and a half month’s worth). We’ll also need to make sure we have some recent meter readings, to make sure that the amount of credit in your account is actually accurate. However, we can’t really do refunds through this public forum, as I’d rather not talk specifics about money where everyone can see it. If you could email help@bulb.co.uk or give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 from 9:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday, we can see about getting you some of that credit refunded