I am considering using you as a supplier. I have an annexe off the main property, which has a meter that just counts units used. My parents use the annexe when in the country and pay me whatever they use. This means my usage fluctuates from time to time. With my current supplier I just top up whenever they use electricity. Do you have a similair online portal where I can make overpayments?

Hey @stevan74 , with Bulb you would be making a static monthly advance payment. When we issue the bill and you’ve used more than what you’ve paid you can simply give us a call to make a top-up payment. We’re looking into a having a one-off payment feature in our online portal for the future.