Paper bills

Hi all,
I’m planning to switch to bulb energy, however I’ve got a question regarding billing.

After some research I found that Bulb energy only does online billing.

For my wife’s visa application (due for renewal in 2 years) we would need to supply correspondences proving she’s been living at the property. An energy bill is quite ideal for that. The issue is that the Home Office does not accept online bills, only ones received by post.

My question is, would Bulb energy be able to make an exception for the rule so that we can send a number of the energy bills for the visa application? We would only need 4-6 bills when the time comes to submit the application, so we don’t need all the bills to be sent by post, just a small subset of them (assuming we would get monthly bills).

Look forwarding to hearing from you.

Regards

You can download your monthly bills from your Bulb account, then just print them off.

You can download your monthly bills from your Bulb account, then just print them off.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that is an option but unfortunately the Home Office only accept bills posted by mail, they don’t appear to accept bills printed from online accounts. It’s quite a challenging/frustrating requirement from the Home Office as most companies are moving to paperless bills.

I appreciate Bulb are trying to help the environment. Was just wondering if it was possible at all to have a small number of the bills mailed instead.

Bulb I am sure will be able to help you.
I wonder how printed and posted differ though as the posted is just printed off on a different machine?

Bulb I am sure will be able to help you. I wonder how printed and posted differ though as the posted is just printed off on a different machine?

I hope so. I’m just about to finalize my switching to Bulb as I’ve been impressed by it so far.

I’m not sure either how the Home Office can differentiate, but just feel it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi guys, thanks for getting in touch. I’m sure you all understand why we use paperless billing (being environmentally friendly and all that jazz) but we also realise that sometimes people do need a paper copy of a statement, for id purposes and so on. In these cases, as @scudo mentions, the bills we send to you will be identical to one that you could print off yourself. If you don’t have access to a printer, though, or if (as in your case @kakalokia) the home office can mysteriously tell whether we printed off a statement or you did, then we can mail you a copy of a bill on a one off basis. We won’t be able to set that up as a regular thing, but if you get in touch each time you need one we can print off a statement and put it in the post for you. We would encourage everyone to do that as infrequently as possible, though, since we’d really rather keep everything green and paperless. I hope that helps!

Hi guys, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sure you all understand why we use paperless billing (being environmentally friendly and all that jazz) but we also realise that sometimes people do need a paper copy of a statement, for id purposes and so on. In these cases, as @scudo mentions, the bills we send to you will be identical to one that you could print off yourself. If you don't have access to a printer, though, or if (as in your case @kakalokia) the home office can mysteriously tell whether we printed off a statement or you did, then we can mail you a copy of a bill on a one off basis. We won't be able to set that up as a regular thing, but if you get in touch each time you need one we can print off a statement and put it in the post for you. We would encourage everyone to do that as infrequently as possible, though, since we'd really rather keep everything green and paperless. I hope that helps!

Thanks very much for your reply David, this is much appreciated.

I wouldn’t need it as a regular thing for sure. All we would need is a paper bill every 4-5 months for the next two years and a half only, after that we wouldn’t need any paper statements. So about 4-6 paper statements in total.

Is it then easier to ask for a statement every 5 months from Bulb energy? Should I use this conversation as a reference each time I ask for a paper bill?

Thanks again David. I really understand and appreciate Bulb’s energy drive for a better environment, and personally support it. However, this is just one of those situations where we don’t want risking a visa refusal, which I’m sure you understand.

No trouble at all @kakalokia happy to help. I think the best thing to do would indeed be to get in touch every five or so months and ask us for a paper bill. You can refer to this conversation if you like, or you could just add a quick word of explanation to the effect that you know we won’t be able to do it as a regular thing and that they’d be the same as printed ones, but that you super need one. We certainly don’t want your visa refused either!

No trouble at all @kakalokia happy to help. I think the best thing to do would indeed be to get in touch every five or so months and ask us for a paper bill. You can refer to this conversation if you like, or you could just add a quick word of explanation to the effect that you know we won't be able to do it as a regular thing and that they'd be the same as printed ones, but that you super need one. We certainly don't want your visa refused either!

Thanks a lot David.

Just one more question please. Can I ensure my wife’s name appears on the bills while going through the switching process, or can I only do that after the switch completes?

Thanks.

@kakalokia Hi we can add your wife’s name to the bill now if you would like to do that email help@bulb.co.uk and cc in your wife and get her to give permission to be added on to the bills.

@kakalokia Hi we can add your wife's name to the bill now if you would like to do that email help@bulb.co.uk and cc in your wife and get her to give permission to be added on to the bills.

Thanks a lot Ben. I need to do the switch to Bulb first. I’ll drop help@bulb.co.uk an email once the switch is complete.

Thanks.

Perfect @kakalokia and if you run into any more questions or issues please don’t hesitate to get in touch, here or by that email address