Paying first bill in advance?!

Goodness is it 50 pages?

But more seriously you don’t need to read the T&C’s to know you pay in advance.

When you seek a quote, the page comes up with the quote costs and it also includes:

We take payments in advance

Your payments enter your account as credit, which we use to pay your energy every month. We’ll take your first payment once your switch is complete, which takes 21 days.

So there should be no excuse for not knowing Bulb take payment in advance.

2 Likes

Well, that’s good to know. What’s Bulb’s excuse for not responding to emails? I have an outstanding query that has been chased numerous times.

The whole “pay in advance” thing is a ridiculous non-issue anyway.

Say my statement date is the 20th of each month. If my payment goes out on the 19th then I’ve paid at the end of my statement period. If it goes out on the 21st then I’ve “paid in advance” at the beginning of my statement period. In reality, it’s a difference of a couple of days … who cares? It causes a minor cash-flow issue when switching from another supplier, since you might end up with payments to two energy companies going out in the same month but that really shouldn’t be too difficult to manage. After that it makes no practical difference at all.

Be grateful it doesn’t make a difference to you, but sadly the extra payment does affect us, when every penny is already spoken for, especially before Christmas. It was my husband who set up the account and obviously we didn’t read the fine print, more fool us but to say it isn’t a big deal is thoughtless

Just change your next payment to £10. The refund from the old supplier can be used to top up when you receive it.

If every penny counts, not sure why you chose Bulb, when there are cheaper suppliers?

1 Like

The poor pay more for everything. It is because we live in a cruel and unjust world. Punishment of the poor for being poor is hardwired into the system. I think best thing is to join a campaign for justice and system change.

How so? with bulb the rich and poor pay the same for their gas and leccy

The poor are more likely to be on prepayment meters, which cost more for both energy and the standing charge. Like every supplier, Bulb charges these people more than the pay monthly customers with good credit ratings and no history of missed payments.

They may pay the same but if you have more money then it’s not an issue is it? I pay set price direct debit each month which is cheaper than anywhere else we looked for, what’s annoying is my account is in credit by more than what they took on the first payment :joy: I know why they do that, but it’s a pain!

Precisely.

Injustice no 1: Rich - 2% of total income goes on electricity. Poor - 20% of total income goes on electricity. (Figures my own just to illustrate point). The “Eat or Heat” dilemma.

Injustice no 2: No savings to provide overdraft buffer at time of switching and getting 2 bills in 1 month. Overdraft has interest applied to it. Charging interest used to be called ‘usury’ and is historically described as one of the major violations against the poor and natural justice.

Under over whelming odds like these I capitulate, please do not blindfold me and stand me against the wall

Whilst I’m generally a hippy lefty, I’m not sure I agree with your argument for what is essentially a progressive energy cost where more wealthy people pay more. I’d agree with progressive taxation, particularly so things like scrapping the regressive VAT and instead adding additional tax on income and wealth.

The injustice for the poor is privatisation. Critical infrastructure like energy and public transport, should be public owned and operated on a not-for-profit basis. The privilege of heating your home should not be lining the pockets of oligarchs and a bunch of shareholders.

Lis does not have a prepayment meter, this seems to be her hobby horse

I wasn’t aware that fighting for a more just society required one to be part of those for which you are fighting.

No, Justice and equality for the poor is a nice thought, I’m all for it, but it aint going to happen anytime soon. not in our lifetime anyway.

Yes, I have moved up in the world. No pre-payment meter for me. But I remember putting ‘shillings’ in the meter when living in privately rented bedsits. Then it was 10 pence and then we rapidly moved up to £1 coins. Now it is mysterious things like ‘keys’ and ‘cards’ that I have not had the misfortune to have to deal with. Not yet anyway. But you never know, upward mobility can suddenly turn to a downward slide.

Agree totally. A very shocking thing is that maximising the profits for shareholders is a legal requirement for a company. It overrides all other concerns, such as the common good and environmental impact.

Key and cards are not mysterious they’re just another move towards a cashless society. They will become obsolete once we move onto smart meters and top up online (can)

2 Likes

Billed on 21st March, my D/D is £63 a month, after bill generated my recommended payment reduces to c£60 a month, I decide to leave it at £63. Log in today and my recommended has gone to £63.47!
How can Bulb change the amount when nothing has actually changed, no readings give as not required until 18th May,
I understand it can change after a bill, but not in-between, you have no extra data to analysis to recommend a change

Hi @Joanne2711 :wave:

Sorry that this has changed frequently for you, I can see how this would be annoying. The recommended direct debit is calculated from your predicted usage and past usage so this can change depending on your monthly statements. This can take a short while to update so would be why it changes after a statement has already gone through.

You can see more about how we charge for energy energy in this article.

Thanks,
Melisa