Payment being taken early?

I amended my payment date to 1st of the month, and today(29th) have had an email from Bulb saying they’ll take my payment in two days time, which is 31st August. Obviously this is before I get paid, the money is there, but I changed it to 1st so all my direct debits went out in that date.

My question is, is it normal for them to take the payment early, or are they going to take this and then another on the 1st?

Any help appreciated.

Without seeing the email I would not really know much about it.

Nobody should take direct debits on a weekend, they should take it on the next working day.

“A Direct Debit Instruction should be set up as outlined in Making payments. … If the payment due date falls at a weekend or on a bank holiday the organisation is obliged to debit your account just after the due date, not before, unless they notify you in advance of a change of date.”

So if your direct debit is on the 1st which is Sunday it should go out on the 2nd which is Monday.

Have you checked your Bulb account to make sure you set it to the 1st?

When did you change the date as it takes time to change, if you did it recently it may be too late to change this month.

Thanks for your reply. Yep checked and it is definitely set to 1st. They’ve already taken my payment for August on the 6th of the month. I wonder if when they 2 days, they mean two working days? However, the payment is already pending in my account.

Pending will show a few days prior to the DD day.

You can contact bulb by clicking the help page and finding the number… or wait and see what happens, if they take it before the 1st then find out why but I would guess if your account shows the 1st it will be taken out on the 2nd.

Bad idea to set direct debits so close to payday. What if you get paid late? What if the DDs are taken early? Best mitigate things going wrong by allowing a week or so between money going in and money going out. Or better still, keep sufficient float in your account to completely decouple your payments in and out.

What was your original payment date before you changed it to the 1st, and what date did you make the change? Remember direct debits get called a week or more in advance, so if it was too close to this months payment then the change wont take effect until next month.

I amended my payment date to 1st of the month, and today(29th) have had an email from Bulb saying they'll take my payment in two days time, which is 31st August.

My question is, is it normal for them to take the payment early, or are they going to take this and then another on the 1st?

Any help appreciated.

Assuming you haven’t changed the date to the 1st of the month in the last week or so…

I can say with a fair degree of confidence that the email which you got today 29 August is giving advance notice that your payment will not take place until at least the 2 September.

Why am I confident, because my DD payment date is also 1st of the month and I have received my notification today that my payment will be taken in two days time. However my payment (i.e.leaving the bank) for the last 20 months is either on the 1st of the month or one or two days later.

Hi @addyeddy ,

I can see you payment did come out a day or so after the 1st. We’ll never request the money ahead of the date you set, although the date can vary after the set date with things like weekends and bank holidays delaying the process.

I would check out this help article that covers most of what you ask here:

Best

Oisin