Payment Taken with Credit in Account

Hi there,

I have £150 credit on my Bulb account which covers my monthly DD for 2 months (with the exception of £20!). This morning i had my DD taken from my bank account.

It has been my understanding that the DD would have come off the credit & not from my bank??

Thanks
L

Hi @laur

If your account is in enough credit to cover your next payment, the payment won’t automatically be stopped or reduced.

Your payments are an average to cover your annual cost of energy.

You tend to use more energy in the winter, and less in the summer. So, your ideal monthly payment amount would be an average of your winter and summer bills.

Your regular meter readings help ensure you’re being charged the right amount. If your payments look to high or low, we’d tell you in the 'Payments & statements" section.

If you want us to refund credit in your account, we’ll need up to date meter readings and at least one month’s payment in your account.

why not just simply charge customers for the energy which they have used instead of accumulating credit into the bulb account. Even when bulb requests meter readings via email the estimated amount for direct debit is already pending on the samw day. This is why i have decided to leave bulb. far too much hassle.

Hi @saghirahmed

We try to be as clear as possible in the signup process that we take payment in advance.

It is stated on our join website before you complete the switch. We also send a welcome pack displaying the first payment date and we send another email you letting you know as well.

We take payments this way because we buy energy three months in advance which keeps our prices down.

If you feel we haven’t communicated this as well as we could have, and have any comments or feedback, we’d love to hear from you.

Hi @“Eleanor at Bulb” thank you for getting back to me!

I dont want to come across as stupid, but i am failing to understand the point in giving us credit if it’s not going to be used to ‘pay the bills’?
Why take £60 from my bank account & not deduct the £60 from the credit i have?

I’ve been charged £100 from my previous supplier for leaving, which Bulb refunded me in credit - when is this going to be available to use for paying my DDs to Bulb? I’ve paid 2 companies this month for my gas & electric now…!

Hey @laur

From feedback we’ve had, lots of our members like to keep the credit in their account and reduce their direct debit payments which you can do in the “payments and statements” tab. This helps keep a nice healthy balance over the winter when bills start increasing.

This is not everyone’s preference. So if you do want that money transferred to your bank account, just drop us an email at any point and we’ll organise that for you.

If you’d like, we can pause your payments if you have enough credit or refund that £100. Let me know what you’d like to do.

To try and ‘avoid bill shock’ (i.e. having to pay a lot more during cold winter months when you have the heating on as opposed to summer months when you use a lot less), Bulb (and most other providers) charge you a set-monthly fee which is too much for your usage during summer and too little during winter - but over the year it does ‘even out’.

The additional credit Bulb provides you (for referrals or ‘exit fee refunds’) can either be refunded by Bulb (as long as you’ve got enough credit for next month’s bill and have recently provided them with a meter reading) if you email them at help@bulb.co.uk OR you can reduce your monthly payments (click ‘Sign in’ top right to go to https://account.bulb.co.uk/ and go to ‘Payments and settings’ and reduce your monthly payment). I’ve done the latter so my monthly payment is actually £30 lower than my estimated average monthly usage, so over time it’ll keep nibbling away at the balance.

Pay overpayment or I am moving

hey @Zeps. I can see that £200 is already on its way back to you. It can take up to 5 working days to reach your bank account once requested. Usually is a bit quicker though.

Ace thanks guys. Clear to me now!

why not just simply charge customers for the energy which they have used instead of accumulating credit into the bulb account. Even when bulb requests meter readings via email the estimated amount for direct debit is already pending on the samw day. This is why i have decided to leave bulb. far too much hassle.

You have misunderstood the direct debit pending payment. It isn’t based on the reading you send to Bulb just prior to the bill preparation, and neither is it based on an estimated reading. The pending payment is that amount shown in your “Payments & statements” under “Monthly payments”. In normal circumstances this amount remains constant over say a 12 month period to cover lower energy use in the summer and higher energy use in the winter,obviously any price increase or decrease will affect this monthly payment.

Supplying meter readings just prior to bill preparation means the bill itself is accurate, but it does not mean the monthly direct debit will change

The process used by Bulb is exactly the same system used by my two previous energy suppliers who were two of the big six.