Payments and statements

I have absolutely no problem in being able to assess my monthly DD to ensure my monthly DD covers the next months bill, and with the eventual aim of stabilizing my monthly DD payment rather than having it go up and down on a regular basis. I’m happy to build up a credit during the summer to offset larger bills during the winter.

Bulb are far more flexible than my previous two energy suppliers (both were in the big six category) regarding being able to change DD payments.

I’m a fairly new customer which means Bulb are still in the process of being able to predict my future usage and hence a suitable DD payment.

However a couple of queries:

1. I wonder why predicted usage could change between meter readings? I can see it would change once a new meter reading is given but wouldn’t expect it to change again until the next meter reading is supplied.

2. What would be the basis for Bulb to recommend in "Payments and statements "

Your payments are too low. We recommend £** a month based on your usage and current balance.

Especially where the balance is more than adequate to pay the next months bill.

Hi @Allanr great to hear from you. The main reason your predicted usage would be because of something called your estimated annual usage. Every time you give us a reading we send it off to the gas or electricity regulator, they keep all readings on record. Once they receive it, they use that reading (compared to all your previous ones) to produce an estimated annual usage, the average annual consumption of your property over the last few years. Once they produce that, they send it over to us, and we update our systems to use it.

Now, the predicted usage we produce is based on two things, the most recent readings we have for you (which we use as a starting point) and the estimated annual usage (which we use to predict your future consumption). So when you give us a reading, the predictions change to use that, and then a little later when we receive the new estimated annual usage it will change again. Might that be what’s been going on here? If that doesn’t sound like it, please do let me know, the whole payments and statements redesign is still pretty new and we’re always looking for feedback.

In terms of the recommended payment amount, we base it on an attempt to match your payments and your usage exactly over the course of one year. So in the summer, the credit might be more than your next bill amount, because we’re trying to build up some credit to tide you through the next winter, if that makes sense. Similarly, in the winter, the recommended payment amount may be lower than the actual statement amount each month.

I hope that helps! Please do let me know if any of that needs clarification.

@David at Bulb

Thanks, your explanation is spot on and fully understood. However I wasn’t aware of the involvement of the regulator in keeping tabs on meter readings. learnt something new.

Since I keep my own spreadsheet on usage etc. i can see that my current credit and payment amount will balance out over the next 12 months. So more than happy to keep my account in credit on this basis.

@Allanr

That’s totally fine, we’re glad we’ve explained it clearly for you.

The whole meter reading process is very complicated which we try to keep as simple as possible for everyone.

Hi @Allanr great to hear from you. The main reason your predicted usage would be because of something called your estimated annual usage. Every time you give us a reading we send it off to the gas or electricity regulator, they keep all readings on record. Once they receive it, they use that reading (compared to all your previous ones) to produce an estimated annual usage, the average annual consumption of your property over the last few years. Once they produce that, they send it over to us, and we update our systems to use it.

Now, the predicted usage we produce is based on two things, the most recent readings we have for you (which we use as a starting point) and the estimated annual usage (which we use to predict your future consumption). So when you give us a reading, the predictions change to use that, and then a little later when we receive the new estimated annual usage it will change again. Might that be what’s been going on here? If that doesn’t sound like it, please do let me know, the whole payments and statements redesign is still pretty new and we’re always looking for feedback.

In terms of the recommended payment amount, we base it on an attempt to match your payments and your usage exactly over the course of one year. So in the summer, the credit might be more than your next bill amount, because we’re trying to build up some credit to tide you through the next winter, if that makes sense. Similarly, in the winter, the recommended payment amount may be lower than the actual statement amount each month.

I hope that helps! Please do let me know if any of that needs clarification

I hope that helps! Please do let me know if any of that needs clarification