Potential residential solutions for a lower energy future

I’ve been thinking a bit more recently about the shift away from gas boilers, and the requirement for relatively low energy solutions for (primarily retrofit) residential buildings due to the limited supply capacity (60A in many cases) and to reduce cost when gas is not an option. Especially with the shift to electric cars as well, we need to be able to make the most of these limited supplies.

Obviously there are the things that make sense in all buildings (insulating, sealing up draughts, maybe MVHR), but have you seen anything that you think makes sense that people aren’t considering?

On-location water heating to avoid water and energy losses from sometimes dozens of meters of pipework between a combi-boiler and your tap?
Shower heat recovery? Are there electric showers that this can work with? Are there any that are thermostatic rather than just a mechanical valve?

Should we be installing hot water cylinders everywhere again and wet solar panels for hot water in the summer?

Is there a cheaper/easier way to do borehole ground source heat pumps? Can it be done under houses in some way?

I do not have one myself but recently i came across this https://www.vitovalorinstaller.com/ which i think is a pretty cool innovation. Combining Hydrogen Fuell Cells and a conventional Gas Boiler.

Prohibitively expensive for most and it still uses Gas to generate electricity but perhaps an option?

Thoughts?

At the price that it is, it’s well into the realm of rich kids toys as it’s absolutely not going to make any money back over its lifetime. It’s also not going to fit into most people’s houses.
It’s less efficient than a standard combination boiler and the electricity output, without a battery, is basically useless.

You’d be far better off installing a ground source heat pump and a load of insulation for that money.

Interesting product, but almost entirely useless in my opinion. They even say that it may use more gas than alternatives (but apparently the reduced electricity bills will make it worth it) so it’s not exactly green in use either.