Power outage on day 1

Having had today set as the first day of payment and becoming a ‘new member’ for bulb we have found our property has instantly had the electricity cut-off.

National grid are on their way out to check the property out soon but expect that it is likely a fault on bulbs end and can’t do anything else to help. Bulb in all their wisdom chose a handover day that is also a Saturday and they are closed now until Monday.

This leaves the house without electricity until Monday until we can contact bulb to sort this out. What a mess!

Is there any other way that they can be contacted to sort out this problem?

@Dvec

When you switch supplier there should be no disruption to your supply unless you are prepayment and your card or key has run out of credit.

Is the supply to your neighbours also off?

Not much comfort, but have you read this Bulb article: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001228911-What-should-I-do-in-case-of-emergency-

Yes, we’ve checked with them and all is well (they are in the downstairs flat).

We’ve followed through on the numbers suggested below. They have stated that there’s nothing they can do to restore the property with electricity if Bulb have failed to switch things over properly.

Is there some kind of system for compensation if a service isn’t being provided like this?

Hi @Dvec ,

It doesn’t sound like a Bulb fault to be honest. If it’s an ‘old style meter’ there’s no way of turning them off remotely - it’s an in-person/engineer job. It it’s a new style smart meter, then yes, those can be turned off remotely - but Bulb doesn’t yet have integration with the existing SMETS1 meters and only just started trailing the SMETS2: so the only company that can turn your supply off would have been your previous supplier.

It’s probably either a localised power failure (such as the supply cable to your property if it’s not affecting other people) or your meter has failed (which they do do sometimes - such as the main fuse blowing), some ‘scamp’ has turned off the main switch (especially if it is an external meter) or something else - since you’ve already contacted National Grid/your local distributor via 105 (see https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001228911-What-should-I-do-in-case-of-emergency- ), it’s best to wait to see what they say. At the moment, Bulb do not have any ‘out of hours’ contact details.

Hi @Dvec ,

It doesn’t sound like a Bulb fault to be honest. If it’s an ‘old style meter’ there’s no way of turning them off remotely - it’s an in-person/engineer job. It it’s a new style smart meter, then yes, those can be turned off remotely - but Bulb doesn’t yet have integration with the existing SMETS1 meters and only just started trailing the SMETS2: so the only company that can turn your supply off would have been your previous supplier.

It’s probably either a localised power failure (such as the supply cable to your property if it’s not affecting other people) or your meter has failed (which they do do sometimes - such as the main fuse blowing), some ‘scamp’ has turned off the main switch (especially if it is an external meter) or something else - since you’ve already contacted National Grid/your local distributor via 105 (see https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001228911-What-should-I-do-in-case-of-emergency- ), it’s best to wait to see what they say. At the moment, Bulb do not have any ‘out of hours’ contact details.

I do appreciate this. Thanks for trying to help.

Is it possible that the old supplier has cut off power too early? We decided to leave them after a long line of different mistakes from them. Green star energy used to be great with customer service but we saw this go downhill and left.

Unfortunately Green Star also aren’t open on a weekend.

Alternatively, if it is something like a blown fuse or localised power failure then this is something we can work with. As you say, we shall wait and see what happens with the engineer who should be along soon.

Is it possible that the old supplier has cut off power too early? We decided to leave them after a long line of different mistakes from them. Green star energy used to be great with customer service but we saw this go downhill and left.

As I already mentioned in my earlier response there shouldn’t be any disruption to your supply when switching suppliers. Happy to be proved wrong, I reckon it is a fault with your actual energy supply.

As I already mentioned in my earlier response there shouldn’t be any disruption to your supply when switching suppliers. Happy to be proved wrong, I reckon it is a fault with your actual energy supply.

Thanks. We’ll find out soon enough. Still waiting on the engineer who should with us shortly.

Hi @dvec,

Out of interest, what did the engineer say?