Price hike as soon as I switched

For the best part of last week I have been trawling through different energy companies looking a at tariffs that would benefit me most.
Yours came up the best as I currently pay £75 per month and you quoted me £64 per month.
I finally made the switch to you on Saturday only to receive an email from you 24 hours later stating that your prices will rise in November thus costing me an extra £11.34 per month!
I know I can cancel the switch but I am very frustrated and disappointed that you didn’t include this price rise in my quote as you knew about it before you quoted me?
Now I have to start the whole process again!
Can you explain why you weren’t clear about this?

Hi @Suey - thanks for your feedback, and I’d be happy to address this for you, as we try very hard to be as transparent as possible about potential price rises.

We released a blog last month saying that wholesale prices had been rising, and that if they stayed as they were then we’d have to raise our prices. On the same day, the quote and join site were updated to state that wholesale prices were currently rising and that the prices may change. We know that many of our members come from Price Comparison Websites, so if you came from one of those during this time we sent an email the day after you switched stating that wholesale prices were rising, and that we might need to increase them.

Yesterday we announced that we would be raising our prices. Ofgem recommends 30 days notice of any price rise. We’ve always given 60 days, as we want all our members to have time to work out what’s best for them when deciding if they should switch as a result. So you now have until the 11th November to decide if Bulb are still what you are after, or if you’d like to sign up to another deal with someone else. We never charge exit fees, so you are free to move to another supplier if they are offering a better deal for you.

We really value all feedback from our members, so if you think there are ways we could’ve improved on this communication we’d be really eager to hear more - feel free to reply to this post if there’s more we should’ve done.

Quote from Bulb “We really value all feedback from our members, so if you think there are ways we could’ve improved on this communication we’d be really eager to hear more”

Quote from Suey " I am very frustrated and disappointed that you didn’t include this price rise in my quote as you knew about it before you quoted me?"

I think the clue is there Bulb, if you choose to read it!

I’ve just joined Bulb too and have to agree with Suey, if you know you are going to increase prices then quote both figures, be transparent and don’t try to mis sell your product.

Quote from Bulb “if you came from one of those during this time we sent an email the day after you switched stating that wholesale prices were rising, and that we might need to increase them.”

I’ve just checked my emails and you didn’t send me one.

I too, like Suey, felt I was getting a great deal when I was referred by a friend. First I was quoted, £64 and now there will be an increase of £13,80. I am quite saddened by this, as I did read a review on social media commenting that this is what Bulb does, “gives you a quote which seems quite reasonable and then within a month there is an increase!”

Me too fuming i have been informed mine is going up by £21 a 20% increase, to say they only knew of this last month is utter rubbish these things are up to 12 months in advance when they buy the fuel,

Hi @IanS - thanks for getting involved in the discussion.

We said on the quote site that we might have to raise our prices soon. With that, we waited as long as we could before implementing a price rise, and because of this there wasn’t another price to give - it depended on what happened in that month. If it stayed as it was, it would have been a smaller rise then we have released, and if it went down, then we may not have needed to increase our prices at all.

We don’t think it would’ve been feasible to have given any price rise figures when we weren’t sure of what the price rise would be. We do weekly reviews of energy costs, with more fervour than ever in situations like this where the prices are rising, as it’s honestly the last thing we ever want to do. An energy supplier that doesn’t have exit fees has a bad time if their price isn’t competitive. We hoped for wholesale prices to go down so that we wouldn’t have to do a price decrease, but we also won’t act irresponsibly and keep prices unsustainably low. Many other energy suppliers have gambled on this and lost, and subsequently been shut down.

Having said that I’ll pass on the feedback to see if we could have a more interactive method of looking at current rates compared to the quote, but I feel this would be notoriously difficult to do with any great accuracy. If we could do it I think it would be really cool and useful though.

We don’t feel we’ve mis-sold the product as we’re very clear that our only tariff option is a variable one, and we’ve given ample notice for people to gather the new information, and switch away before it ever affects them if they so choose.

As for the e-mails, they were only sent to members that joined us directly through a price comparison site, not if you signed up through our website, as the site had this signposted during the switch. If you signed up through a price comparison site and didn’t receive this communication, please let me know (you can private message me if you’d like.).

Snap!! I’m now going to be £40 a month dearer than quoted within 2 months. My old supplier quoted me less to stay and rang me begging… looks like I’ll be moving back

yep… just joined and will cancel my account immediately in the morning. outrageous behaviour!

Likewise I was in the process of switching and just got the email to say the price is going to be higher than the supplier I just left ! Very frustrated with this it seems that this sort of behaviour is intended to stop people from switching suppliers. I am canceling and now looking for another provider. I wont be back to bulb no matter how low your prices go because I cant trust that you wont rise them straight away.

Quote “We don’t feel we’ve mis-sold the product as we’re very clear that our only tariff option is a variable one, and we’ve given ample notice for people to gather the new information, and switch away before it ever affects them if they so choose.”

I’ve just been told you sent an e-mail out to existing customers in August so you would have known then what the increase would be, so anyone joining in September should have received a quote with the price increase!!! Misleading if they didn’t or at the very least a note at the time on the quotation to say this is correct at the old prices however when you join there will be a price rise in November!!!

It’s no good hiding it somewhere on a website or sending a mail to existing customers or referring to a mail to all who joined via a price comparison site. I certainly didn’t see any note on a website anywhere and did not get a mail when joining in September. Furthermore I’ve asked for a copy of the e-mail and to see the note on the website and have been told there isn’t one or even a screenshot.

Just saying!!!

Joining Bulb has now been a complete waste of my very valuable time and I feel very let down by this business. Just because Ofgem suggest a 30 day lead time to inform customers of an increase and you have given 60 days is not a good excuse for being transparent. Plus suggesting to me in an e-mail that because you have no exit fees is your reason for you highly valuing customers is naive of you.

Hi Ian, this is how the join page displayed for switches after we let people know that prices may have to increase in the future:

The reason we couldn’t quote people on the new prices is that we didn’t know them. All that we knew was that our wholesale costs had increased, and if they continued to do so, we would have to change price.