Price increase email

You’ve quoted an 18% increase in wholesale energy prices since June, yet your unit price for gas is increasing by a MASSIVE 29.64%! Why not be a little more transparent with the facts?

Hi @JP240 - Gas shortages are the chief reason for these rising prices. While gas has gone up quite a bit more than that 18%, our electricity rates are much lower than that - we’ve had to use some averages to be able to communicate the key messages in as simple a way as possible - we’ve given a few places to dive into further detail but we’re also happy to hear your feedback. Do you have any suggestions on how we could’ve communicated this better?

Yes!! Just tell it as it is. In my case the electricity unit price is increasing by 6.59% and gas by 29.64%. HOWEVER, most people don’t use the same proportion as gas as electricity. In my case I use proportionately FAR MORE gas, hence my overall cost increase would be considerably more than the 18% you quote.
It’s true to say that if you average the two it comes to around 18% but how many customers use EXACTLY the same amount of gas as electricity? If you don’t, like me, the 18% figure is meaningless and incorrect.
So to answer your question, don’t try to be clever with the numbers, just tell it as it is. I think you will find that Bulb customers are far too intelligent to see through the smoke screen. Incidentally, I don’t accept that a 29.64% increase is a “bit more than 18%”!! - It’s 65% MORE!!

Hi @JP240 - point taken, though I did say ‘quite a bit more’.

As I said in my other post to you, it’s something I’ll be feeding back though, as it’s an important point to raise.

Hi @JP240 - point taken, though I did say 'quite a bit more'.

As I said in my other post to you, it’s something I’ll be feeding back though, as it’s an important point to raise.

Thanks Bill and apologies for the misquote.

Naah it’s alright - I can do better with my own language on this :slight_smile: