Price increases in March 2018

Hi. I have just started my switch to bulb and have been told that there will be price increases at bulb in March 2018. Does anyone know what the new charges will be please?

That’s not quite true: in December, Bulb did email customers saying:

You might have seen in the news that energy prices rose sharply last week. We just wanted to reassure you that since we buy our energy three months in advance, we don't need to change our prices now.

There’s a chance we may have to increase our prices in March 2018. If we do, we promise to give you 60 days notice. And we never charge exit fees, so you can leave us anytime at zero cost.

We’ve written a blog with more info on how wholesale energy costs are changing because we think it’s important to keep you informed.

They did not say the prices WERE going up: just that they MIGHT and, if they do - you’ll be given 60 days notice if you want to move elsewhere (without any penalties or exit costs).

As far as I know, Bulb have not yet announced any price rises, so under the contract/promise, the absolute earliest prices MIGHT go up is 60 days from “today”.

And before any rash decisions are made, bear in mind that if prices start to rise sooner or later so will all the other utility companies.
So it may be best to sit tight for a few months to find out who does what.

...if prices start to rise sooner or later so will all the other utility companies.
Quite so. The cheapest this week or this month will vary all the time, but life's too short to be constantly researching and changing energy, comms, insurance and banking etc providers. At the moment I'm confident that Bulb will among the top end performers for the foreseeable future. And with the renewables commitment too - what's not to like? :)

Thanks for your comments. Current supplier was not honest about Bulb so I’ll be leaving them now anyway.

Current supplier was not honest about Bulb so I’ll be leaving them now anyway.
A competitor not being honest, what a shocker! :grin:

@Sarah_205 We have not announced any price rise as of now. We can’t guarantee that we won’t be increasing prices, we are seeing how the wholesale costs of energy change and then making a decision based on that. As @RichyB says, we will give 60 days notice if we do announce a rise so you have plenty of time to consider any other options.

Bulb have just announced the price increases - https://bulb.co.uk/blog/energy-price-watch-changes-to-our-energy-prices - 2.8% from 28th of April. I’m sure (hope) Bulb will email everyone shortly as we can all walk away without any exit charges (and with 60 days notice instead of the “standard” 30 days), but I’m quite happy with Bulb and I don’t think the 2.8% will make much difference.

See also https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/3657/we-are-increasing-our-tariff-by-2-per-month

As things currently stand in the energy market, I think we can be confident that there’s not a single company who won’t be raising prices in the next few months.

@198kHz agreed. With Bulb, it’s more dramatic because every single customer is on the same tariff (Vari-Fair).

@RichyB we’re relieved you’re thinking to stay. You’re a real asset to the Bulb Community. :slight_smile:

My view is to wait and see what others do with regard to a price increase, then look at the overall package compared to others.
It is all too easy to jump ship based on clever competitor marketing but do your homework first.

Good Afternoon All,

This increase will cost me about £4 a month currently. With my Economy 7 tariff there were two other suppliers who would have offered me a saving by moving but when I applied the projected increase of Economy 7 usage i.e. when the Zoe arrives, Bulb’s lower night rate cancelled any immediate advantage in moving.

OK Bulb have now announced this 2.8% increase but I’ll stay where I am at the moment and see what happens over the next 60 days.

I was out sweeping snow off the Solar PV panels and the Solar ET panels this morning…

Regards

Richard

My view is to wait and see what others do with regard to a price increase, then look at the overall package compared to others. It is all too easy to jump ship based on clever competitor marketing but do your homework first.
So far my view is that of the renewable suppliers they still seem to be the cheapest, and the most open with the best community spirit, so I'm sticking where I am.

@mowcius As stated elsewhere the increase in night time units from 7.86p to 9.02p strikes me as being somewhat more than 2.8% although the annualised total is actually just under 2.8%.

It is the impact of our imminent increase in Economy 7 usage when the Zoe arrives which is the kicker.

Projecting we would need circa 4800kWHr to charge the Zoe over the year this makes our projected annual consumption 8400D/ 8400N units.

With the new pricing this equates to £2050 per annum. With Ebico Night Owl this drops to £1912 fixed for a year. I have no axe to grind with Bulb but £138 is £138 (6.7%). This will go some way to buying me another (secondhand) G59/3 inverter to enable my extra 1.675kW of solar panels…

Regards

Richard

@linesrg, to offset the difference, perhaps consider pushing a few referrals over the next year? At £50/referral, this could very quickly net you far more than what you’d save by moving to a cheaper non-renewable supplier.

@mowcius - that’s a possibility…

Regards

Richard