Pricing

I only switched less than a month ago based on the payment quote we received. Since this we have had 2 rises and now notification of another. Is this a common occurrence when switching? Seems the initial price is a lure then when you join - boom £££

I only switched less than a month ago based on the payment quote we received. Since this we have had 2 rises and now notification of another. Is this a common occurrence when switching? Seems the initial price is a lure then when you join - boom £££

It does seem to fluctuate during the first couple of months until you have submitted a number of monthly meter readings. The fluctuation is most likely due to estimated energy usage which will in due course be more accurate as you submit montghly meter readings

I honestly don’t think the initial price is a lure, just to do a check for yourself. Is the unit price and standard charges which Bulb are now using to calculate your bill the same as that shown in your initial quote. If it is the same then it shows Bulb have not used enticing figures to lure you to join.

You only pay for the energy used- people need to get used to comparing unit prices not some estimated annual or monthly figure based on assumptions! I suspect the OP may be confusing recommended direct debit increases and actual price increases- possibly they have had both. Only the unit price increase will actually affect the annual bill, the direct debit is just an estimated average intended as a guide to ensure the cost of energy used is paid off across a year. It will take some time to settle down as bulb build a picture of thier actual usage over time.

For a long time I have thought that the govt should step in and abolish standing charges. These vary so much from one provider to another it makes true comparison difficult. If we all bought energy like we buy petrol it would be so easy- a simple, per unit price only, including all the admin costs etc- you could see at a glance who was cheapest!

@Deborah123_

There are two things that can happen with regards to the costs.

1. The wholesale costs of energy that we buy (and then sell on to you) can change in which case we might change either the unit rates or standing charge. This means that per unit of energy you might be charged more or less depending on whether we have increased or decreased these rates.

Read more about the wholesale cost of energy here: https://bulb.co.uk/blog/wholesale-energy-market-update-august

1. You might sign up to us with a quote of £50. If you then end up using £100 a month then we need you to increase your Direct Debit so you cover the costs of your energy.