Product Input: How do you feel about the move to electric vehicles? 🏎️

In light of the government’s recent announcement that new petrol and diesel cars in the UK will not be sold from 2030. We want to know what you make of the news.

How do you feel about the move to Electric Vehicles (EV)? :electric_plug:

When you next come to buy or lease a car, will you choose an electric one? If not what concerns do you have about electric cars? :blue_car:

If you’ve got an EV already, what would you tell someone currently thinking about getting one? :speaking_head:

Here at Bulb we’re busy working on an EV Energy Plan that’s designed around electric drivers. You can sign up to hear the latest updates on our new products for EVs here: https://bulb.co.uk/electric-vehicles/

2 Likes

We are at the point financially now where a leased electric vehicle, particularly for higher rate tax payers, makes sense purely on the financial even ignoring all the greenery. Practically though leccy prices matter more than ever so tariffs matter - and the tentacled one is currently ahead of you on that! I have my Smart meter ready (and almost working :wink: ) … don’t make me have to change supplier!!

2 Likes

Electric vehicles do not help save the planet. component materials have to be ‘mined’ and manufacturing a vehicle is not a ‘green’ process. Anyway, I’m quite content with my horse and sled.

1 Like

Presumably fossil fuel powered cars use no raw materials (mined or otherwise) and are produced by pixies in a zero CO2 process?

1 Like

Stalemate nashenden but I have the advantage of a fleet of little green pixies who are available to transport me anywhere. For example; last night I went out to shop, done a pub crawl, night clubbed and ended the evening/morning on the west coast of Scotland and had a drink with Skippy. When I awoke I found I’d not cost the planet anything. Anyway… a

@nashenden @daviddorrington10 Thanks for the responses.

I’m going to leave the discussion about pixies to one side for now, and let you know that we are putting the final touches to our EV Energy Plan that’s designed around electric drivers. If you enter your details at the link in the original post (copied here), you’ll be the first to hear any updates.

I still don’t believe the countries power distribution network will take the increase in demand plus that created by air source heat pumps for home heating. The first all electric charging station with 36 rapid chargers has gone live with a 5MegaWatt link to the grid. And fields of solar panels and a massive battery bank. All well and good but we will need a load more especially on motorways.

The cables and substation feeding our homes assume a diversity factor where not every big load is on in every house all the time. This factor value will change as more and more homes are charging one or more electric car (for those who have somewhere where you can charge it).

I can see the price of electricity going up and up even more than it already is and the reduction in price and hours for off peak going down as demand overnight goes up.

All things that can be put right with a few new power stations and digging up all our streets (some areas with cables over 100 years old, only 47 years old where I am) and installing bigger cables.

The railways in the south were forced to do this before they could introduce their new trains which had to sit in sidings waiting for the power supply upgrade (delayed the withdrawal of slam door trains). New trains were heavier and air conditioning and better acceleration to make up for slow loading and unloading times. Even now they can’t accelerate as fast as they were designed to due to the high current requirement.

And I am still waiting for my smart meter to work properly. Typical wait of two weeks for every time it stops working.

I myself would have spent the £13Bn on a green energy projects e.g. four offshore wind farms making money rather than using it.

Let’s get smart meters working properly first and thereby alleviate all the bad posts that are harming Bulb’s reputation.

Granted, smart meters don’t work properly for user from all providers and the system was poorly planed, specified and implemented from day one and thus the £13Bn price tag which could have been better spent.

Eon customers have been told they may have to wait up to six months while a temporary issue with them is resolved.

Hopefully the team that claim our infrastructure can cope with the increase in demand from car charging, cooking and heating are smarter than the team that planned our smart meters with not a mention of any additional infrastructure costs.

1 Like

[removed by author]…

In theory there are over 40,000,000 cars in the UK.

Say just 25% of them want to be on charge one night with 7Kw chargers.

10,000,000 x 7000 = 70,000,000,000 (70 Billion Watts)

That I think is 70 Giga Watts which is more than the complete UK can produce.

Plus van charging I just don’t see without major investment that it is going to work and the longer they wait to realise it the more it will cost (done in a rush with many mistakes).

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Isn’t that roughly equivalent to 24m kettles? Seems like we probably manage that already.

Some good information in this series of YouTube videos:

Interesting videos.
No mention of all the white vans that will need charging every night and the increase in demand from the reduction in the use of gas.

We at the moment make a lot of our electricity from gas. 12Gw at the moment at 10:30 on a Wednesday morning.

It also suggest we all need to all install solar panels which then leads to grid destabilisation (pushing the voltage up so they stop making power unless you have the storage battery option).

It does say night demand will rise so I see the price of nighttime power will rise.

Last century the firm I worked for had a power tariff that changed every 30 mins and were paid to use power at night. We still had seven figure electric bills.

I still doubt the cables and substations feeding our older homes won’t be up to the task.

We can’t even roll out smart meters that work and my one may work in a few weeks when someone reboots the local hub over the mobile phone network.

1 Like

Hi there

Are Bulb going to be offering an EV tariff like EDF and Octopus now that the smart meters are in use?

My car arrives on the 14 the of May and unless Bulb can offer a tariff like the EDF Go Electric 98 I might have to think about moving.

Thanks
Rahim

Hi DJ,

I saw Nathan wrote this on a recent thread 2 days ago:

Don’t click on that, the link doesn’t work :frowning: , it was on the discussion of “are smart homes really saving energy”

Hope you like your new car!

Izzy

Thanks @izzyhunt

I wonder who this Nathan is so I can tag him. Hopefully the tag below works so I can get more information on when it is coming out.

@Nathan_at_Bulb

Hi @dj_raz :wave:

Yes, we are bringing out an EV tariff soon! It’s in ‘beta’, which means we’re still testing it.
:oncoming_automobile:

You can see all the details and apply on our website.

If you own an EV and you’re able to schedule the charging during cheaper off-peak hours, you’ll make savings by avoiding standard rates.

However, not all smart meters are compatible. You can apply to join the EV Tariff trial if you have a second generation (SMETS2) smart meter.

Up until 2018, most smart meters installed in homes were first generation, or SMETS1. If you have a smart meter installed by Bulb, it will be second generation, or SMETS2.

During 2021, all SMETS1 meters will be automatically upgraded to work like SMETS2 meters. This will make them compatible with the EV Tariff. If you have a SMETS1 meter, we’ll let you know when it’s smart again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Mel

Thank you @Mel_at_Bulb

I have been notified that my SMETS1 meter will now be connected to my Bulb account from 6th May which is very exciting.

Thanks for sending the link. I will check it out and apply given I am able to charge during off peak hours.

Thanks
Rahim

1 Like

You’re welcome @dj_raz

Yes, very exciting!

I have merged your post with the thread ’ Product Input: How do you feel about the move to electric vehicles? ’ as it may be of interest to those looking at EV’s.

Thanks,
Mel