Proposal To Increase My Payments

I have received an e-mail informing me that you intend to increase my monthly payments w.e.f. 26.11.18. I am not in agreement with this especially as I am currently £106 in credit. I will not let this happen. if you insist on this unreasonable increase I will cancel my direct debit and switch suppliers.

You have full control of your direct debit. Just log into your account and set it to whatever you want, within reason.

No need to go in all guns blazing! You’ll give yourself a heart attack.

Bulb have to expect this kind of reaction. Seems to be happening to everyone regardless of their account balance. It’s true you can adjust your DD yourself but why should you have to when you’re monitoring your account and are happy that you are in credit going into winter?
Come on bulb, this needs addressing, there are way too many posts on this forum saying the exact same thing.

You have full control of your direct debit. Just log into your account and set it to whatever you want, within reason.

No need to go in all guns blazing! You’ll give yourself a heart attack.

I do think we (which definitely includes myself) have to be careful when giving advice to new members of the forum that they should not be met with antagonism.

The emails to customers advising them of DD payment increases seems to be at fault. In fairness to Bulb they have tweaked the emails to try and explain the situation more clearly but obviously more work needs to be done in this area.

Whoever designed the algorithm for working out DD payment increases needs to seriously review the process and hopefully help to take the flack off Eleanor and Danp and others on the Bulb team who have to continually justify the rationale behind the calculations on this forum…

It's true you can adjust your DD yourself but why should you have to when you're monitoring your account and are happy that you are in credit going into winter?

Do you have a suggestion for how best to determine those who are monitoring their account and those who are not paying any attention? There’s a clear problem with some customers not submitting meter readings for months at a time. Perhaps some combination of regular meter readings and how often they log into their account could be used to mark an account as “monitored” and so apply a less heavy handed approach. If someone hasn’t submitted readings for months, and hasn’t logged into their account to view any statements, then at that time the pointy stick could be applied.

I’m not sure it even has to be that complicated. These emails state "we need to increase your payments to x amount, you are in credit by y amount. Surely if the value of y = more than 1 months DD that should be enough for their system to not generate the email in the first place.
Taking it a step further, if y amount is in credit but no meter readings have been sent then generate an email to tell those people THIS is the reason for the increase and if they don’t like it then start submitting readings to avoid it.

I'm not sure it even has to be that complicated. These emails state "we need to increase your payments to x amount, you are in credit by y amount. Surely if the value of y = more than 1 months DD that should be enough for their system to not generate the email in the first place.

I think it has to include the time of year. One month credit is fine if it’s March, but if it’s September then you’re expected to have at this point built up sufficient buffer to mostly cover the larger winter payments.

I think what’s happening when people join and then two months later get a massive DD increase is because the system is doing the above calculation (i.e., it’s November so this account should have a large reserve) but isn’t clever enough to factor in that a customer only joined two months ago so hasn’t had the time to do that.

Taking it a step further, if y amount is in credit but no meter readings have been sent then generate an email to tell those people THIS is the reason for the increase and if they don't like it then start submitting readings to avoid it.

Definitely agree there needs to be a better worded message for those accounts that haven’t submitted readings for ages.

On the other hand, I think the monthly bill reminder emails are not strongly worded enough. The “submit a reading, no worries if you can’t” really needs to more strongly stress the need for accurate readings.

Yeah, good point. They can’t have it both ways really. Bit like parents trying to be cool friends with their kids!