Reading the British Gas smart meter

If you were previously with British Gas, and they had installed a smart meter, here are some instructions on how to read the meter:

Electricity - Press the green ‘A’ button in the top right-hand corner to step through the displays, until you reach a screen that says ‘TOTAL ACT IMPORT’. The number on this screen is your electricity meter reading.

Gas - Press the red button to turn the screen on. Then press the red button again until it says ‘meter index’. The number on this screen is your gas meter reading.

Unfortunately British Gas have made it impossible for other suppliers to remotely read their meters. This is something that we expect to change in late 2017 - we will keep you posted on how this develops.

Amit

It’s late 2017. Is there an update?

Hi @ross5326 We are looking to start our smart meter trial at the start of 2018, with the view of beginning to install smart meters mid-2018.

The delay has been due to delays in the industry over the readiness of the systems needed for suppliers to communicate with other suppliers meters. Unfortunately it’s been pushed back a number of times. If you’re interested, the software company responsible is called the DCC (Data and Communications Company).

Sorry if you’re one of those members with a British Gas smart meter!

Thanks,
Sam

Hi am it I have just read your instructions but I am not sure that is applicable to my meter which was fitted by BG last year were they all the same
Thanks

Hi @Funda – not necessarily. Here is a more in-depth guide: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232832-How-do-I-read-my-meter-

I am not with Bulb yet, but I have one of these smart meters. I sent an email to your team to ask how I would provide meter readings from my meter, and was told I’d need to give two readings, one for rate 1 and one for rate 2, and not the total. This post says different. Which ones is correct please? I have a meter like this: http://www.smartofthehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/20130915-164158.jpg

Hi @Jd843

The meter type you have does give 2 readings in most cases.

You need to ignore the Total Act Import and reading R01 Import and R02 Import.

The R02 import will no longer move once you switch to Bulb and all the energy will go through the R01 reading.

Please make sure you don’t send the Total reading :-1:

Hi, it’s now March 2019. What’s the latest on your smart meter?

Hi, it's now March 2019. What's the latest on your smart meter?

Please check out the Help page, there is a section covering smart meters.

Hi @DaveW,

We started fitting our second generation smart meters in January. We’re currently working our way through the waiting list which you can add your name too if you haven’t already.

Once we can fit one in your home we’ll send you an email where you can choose a date that suits you. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Pollyanna

I have first generation British Gas smart meters, was promised new smart meters in a couple of months when I signed up - I need 7 meters in total for my 4 properties. Now that I am signed up they are telling me it will be sometime towards the end of 2020 !!!
I’m not holding my breath, will probably move somewhere else as soon as I can make the time to organise it.
I’m not sure about the accounting system either, my accounts are all in credit but they continue taking the direct debit.
I have called about the meter problem, was kept on hold for ages after asking to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor never came on the phone and eventually one day later I got a message telling me “Offgem” are to blame for the meter delays ???

Hands up if you believe that.

I'm not sure about the accounting system either, my accounts are all in credit but they continue taking the direct debit.

That’s how all energy suppliers operate their monthly direct debit plans. I’ve never had an account that didn’t keep taking the direct debit even when in credit. That’s how they’re supposed to work, build up credit in the cheaper summer months in order to spend it in expensive winter months, and so average out your payments over the year.

See: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work-

I have called about the meter problem, was kept on hold for ages after asking to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor never came on the phone and eventually one day later I got a message telling me "Offgem" are to blame for the meter delays ????

Hands up if you believe that.

Bulb have many smart meter problems of their own making, but if you’re suggesting that the well publicised issues with all smart meters across all suppliers are … lies? Then I don’t think you’ll find much support for that posture.