I have £200 surplus & I want to transfer £100

Hi @johnnyt1_

If you would like to be refunded credit from your account, we will need to make sure we have up to date meter readings and at least one months payment in the account.

If that’s all updated on your account, just get in touch via email, chat or give us a call on 0300 303 0635 and we can get your credit refunded to you :slight_smile: