Refunded credit hasn't come into my account?

I requested a refund on the 15th of November over the phone for £200, it has appeared on my statement, but I haven’t yet received the funds. How long does this process usually take?

I’m not sure if I’m being impatient or if something is a miss as it’s been 8 working days since then.

Thanks in advance!

@ThomasH, it shouldn’t take anywhere near that long. A day or two at most.

Probably best to give them a ring to find out what’s going on (0300 30 30 635).

Hi @ThomasH This certainly should have happened by now and is actually showing on our system as completed. I should mention that the refund will have happened in three parts - two payments of £81.16 and one payment of £37.68.

Can you just check whether you can see these in your bank account? If not, I’ll investigate further and give you a call.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi @Sam_Bulb, after a quick check through I have found nothing in my bank records bar my last payment to yourselves which was the 16th of November.

I’d appreciate it if you could have a look and give me a call. Thanks!

Interestingly when requesting a transfer of credit today, I was informed it will happen within 10 days.

For what reason could it potentially take this long?
With an account number and sort code, I can do a bank transfer myself within 5 minutes (although they tend to say up to 3 hours).

If it’s going to continue to take more than a few hours in the future, perhaps pending transfers could be shown somewhere on the Bulb page until this is completed.
I understand why you’d want to drop the credit figure instantly but it’s kinda concerning currently having no idea of the state of the transfer with the MyBulb page saying it’s happened.

@mowcius We normally recommend that it can take up to 5 days to process a refund, this is just the time that refunding through a Direct Debit can take. It does not transfer like a typical bank transfer.

@“DanP at Bulb”, are you saying that for each request for a credit transfer, you set up a Direct Debit mandate (which does take at least 3 days)?

Is there another way that this can be done to speed up the process?

Hi @mowcius . It doesn’t set up a mandate each refund, the mandate is set up already between us and your bank account. The refunds use the mandate to facility the transfer between us both.

The refunds usually take no more than 2 days to be come through, but there are a few more validation steps that are required when processing the payments through a billing system rather than a straight bank transfer.

@“Rob at Bulb”, if someone’s currently paying by debit card, you presumably wouldn’t already have a mandate set up for them though?

I do understand why the transfer takes a few days if it’s being done by Direct Debit, but in the age of instantaneous data in which we now live, that length of time feels like an eternity and it would make sense to me that this time is clearly shown (in MyBulb) to anyone requesting a transfer.

To me, this thread is confirmation that more visibility needs to be provided to Bulb customers about what’s going on.
Do you get a confirmation when a Direct Debit payment is successful? If so, I’d personally like to see the credit still in my Bulb account until you get that confirmation.

Hi @mowcius - no debit cards are slightly different. We make the refund request through the encrypted payment system we use (Stripe) not through a mandate to the bank. This is why a debit card refund can take up to 10 working days (though tends to be much quicker than this)

For direct debits, the credit will only show as removed once the refund has been fully refunded. For debit cards it currently shows when the request is made as the linking of the software isn’t as straightforward. This is currently being changed so it too will only show once the refund has been completed. Stay tuned - it’s looking to be only a matter of weeks until this change is made.

For direct debits, the credit will only show as removed once the refund has been fully refunded. For debit cards it currently shows when the request is made as the linking of the software isn't as straightforward. This is currently being changed so it too will only show once the refund has been completed. Stay tuned - it's looking to be only a matter of weeks until this change is made.
Thanks for the clarification. :smile: