Register your interest in the Warm Home Discount

The Warm Home Discount is a government scheme to help you with your energy bills over the winter period. You’re given £140, either as credit to your Bulb account or through a Post Office voucher if you have prepayment meters. And we’ve now opened our form to register your interest :house: :money_with_wings:

Who’s eligible?

Core Group - you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit :memo:

Broader Group - you’re low income and meet Bulb’s criteria for the scheme :white_check_mark:

When can I apply?

Applications for winter 2020/2021 open in autumn 2020. You can register your interest now and we’ll email you when applications open.

All members can register their interest from now until applications open. The Warm Home Discount is first come first served.

Read more here and feel free to ask any questions you have on this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I applied for (and received this) earlier this year so will be doing so again, thank you for the heads up

Not completely happy it’s a ‘First come, first served’ service though as it should be for ALL people entitled

Terrible to imagine there’s going to be low income, disabled people out there who miss out on this purely because they weren’t aware of it or fast enough to reply

It ought to be a case where if you’re entitled then you receive it and not just because you were ‘Quick off the mark’ to apply

A lot of these people probably get it automatically as they will qualify as core group

But not all and therein lies the problem

Hi @shaun5948, thanks for raising an important point about eligibility. I would just like to make it clear that last year, our Warm Home Discount scheme opened in the October and ran until the last day of March. We always promote Warm Home Discount opening strongly when it does open, and we also advise our members to register their interest (which you can do for the coming year here) so that we notify them once they can apply, because we recognise the importance of this scheme for our members.

Technically, yes it is a ‘first come, first served’ basis and I do want to make this clear, but ultimately there is a long window and plenty of spots to be able to get the Warm Home Discount if you are eligible.

Oh I’ve no doubt that it’s not your (Bulb’s) fault but that the blame lies with the Government/Treasury

How they can put a limit on applications for eligible people for something of this ilk is disgusting

They seem to be constantly looking for ways to reduce the Benefits budget (DLA to PiP and reducing payments on that to eligible people) is another one of their nasty tricks

Yet they had no problem awarding MPs an extra £10,000 each just to stay at home during the Lockdown when their travel expenses budget was actually LOWER because they weren’t going to the House of Commons

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that WHD was paid by the energy companies

I’ve no idea, I know that applications get checked for eligibility with DWP and so on so they’ve got a say in it somewhere

The DWP just tell them who is eligible for “core” group, then set the basic guidelines for the “broader” group, it is up to the individual energy companies to tweak these guidelines as they see fit.
Resulting in some suppliers being quite generous and some paying out just to those that make the minimum eligilibity requirements

So who’s paying it?

I thought it was the Government/Treasury

So who’s paying it?
the energy suppliers, doesn’t really cost them that much because they probably set it off as a tax break

Hi @skippy64 and @shaun5948

I just wanted to clear a few things up about how the Warm Home Discount works. It is taken from our own financial source, and we must distribute a predetermined amount. There are two groups: the core group, and the broader group.

Those in the core group are all entitled to the payment, and contact the DWP about this. Every supplier is then allocated a certain number of broader group spots based on their size. This allocation is decided by Ofgem, the energy industry regulator.

Suppliers will then choose to distribute their broader group payments based on applications they are submitted. Every supplier will have slightly different criteria for this.

I hope this helps, any other questions do let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

I stand corrected, thank you for clearing this up

Hi @skippy64

No worries at all - if you ever have any other questions on the Warm Home Discount (or anything else for that matter) just let us know.

We’re happy to help :bulb: