Removal of BG Gas Meter

Hi can anyone help me please?
I have an old British Gas gas meter circa 1987/88 in a kitchen cupboard and my electric meter in a cupboard outside my flat’s front door (in a communal space).
Bulb are coming to fit a new Smart meter next Thursday.
Firstly can I ask that the meter be placed in the cupboard outside my front door?
Will they remove the old British Gas meter and take it away with them? It’s quite bulky and takes up virtually the whole kitchen cupboard.
Am due to upgrade my kitchen soon so will need the space where the meter is for a fridge/freezer.
Hoping someone has had a similar experience with an old meter and can answer this.
Thanks in advance. Karen

Bulb will clarify for you but it is likely there will be a cost to relocate.
Have a read at this:

Thanks Scudo that’s helpful. But don’t want the old meter moved but totally removed. Have emailed Bulb - which I should probably have done in the first place (duh).

If you dont get a response within 24 hours phone or use live chat.

I suspect it will still be seen as a meter move as they are relocating where the meter should go regardless if a new one or not.

Anyhow good luck, have fun with the kitchen upgrade.

Thanks Scudo that's helpful. But don't want the old meter moved but totally removed.

Do you still require a gas supply? If so then you need the meter to be moved, not totally removed.

The old British Gas meter will be taken away, but the new smart gas meter will be more or less the same size.

Moving the meter elsewhere will not be done as part of a smart meter installation, it is a separate job that will be organised at your own expense (could well be 4 figures depending on how far and what supply pipework needs rerouting).

Thanks Scudo that's helpful. But don't want the old meter moved but totally removed.

Do you still require a gas supply? If so then you need the meter to be moved, not totally removed.

The old British Gas meter will be taken away, but the new smart gas meter will be more or less the same size.

Moving the meter elsewhere will not be done as part of a smart meter installation, it is a separate job that will be organised at your own expense (could well be 4 figures depending on how far and what supply pipework needs rerouting).

It should be smaller. Landis & Gyr G470 is ultrasonic.

It should be smaller. Landis & Gyr G470 is ultrasonic.

They’re not as tall, but I believe they’re more or less the same width and depth which gives it more or less the same physical footprint?