Remove existing meter

Hi,

We own a house that is currently split into two flats (downstairs & upstairs), which we plan to convert back to one house. As it’s currently in two flats we have two electricity and two gas meters, which I will want reduced down to one of each. I’ve spoken to UK power networks who own the electricity supply in my area, but they advise it is down to the company who supply my energy (so, Bulb) to remove the unwanted meter as technically it’s their property. UK power networks are responsible for the actual cable coming into the house, but not the meter.

I’m guessing as Bulb is a relatively small/new company, they don’t have the infrastructure for this yet, but as they are my energy supplier, they are who I need to do it.

I’m sure I’m not the first person to do this, but couldn’t find any other threads/links to this on the help forum, so posting in here.

Any help/advice/point in the right direction would be appreciated

Cheers

Hi @Steve10, UK Power Networks are correct - any work regarding the meter itself is the responsibility of the energy supplier that supply the house, so in your case that is us.

Just for clarification so we can answer your question fully, will you be using one of the set of existing meters (keeping the MPAN and MPRN) and simply removing the additional ones, or will you be installing an entirely new meter set up?

Hello @“Crinan at Bulb” , thanks for your reply.

Currently I have a quote from UK Power Networks to move the meter and supply out to the front of the house, which is housed in a box, but would prefer it to be inside somewhere.

I intend to keep the electricity & gas meters from the downstairs flat, and remove the ones from the upstairs flat. So yes one set of MPAN/MBRN will remain the same once the conversion is completed.

Cheers

That’s great! Since you will be keeping one of the original MPRN & MPANs then this is all work that is fairly simple for us to do.

The meter removal and meter move jobs will be separate jobs that need to be booked. As you say UK Power Networks will need to be booked separately by yourself in order for the cabling to be re-done, due to the distance your meters will need to be moved.

If you would like further information regarding this and the costs involved, please fire us an email to help@bulb.co.uk or give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 from Monday to Friday (9:00 am to 6:00 pm) and we will be happy to assist you further. :slight_smile: