Revamped Community coming soon

Hi everyone,

Serious changes are coming to the Community very soon in the form of a revamped Community platform. You’ve been asking for it and we know it’s needed love for a while, so we’re really happy to be able to do this.

It’ll be ready for you to beta test in a couple of weeks so you can take a look and let us know how it feels. Then we’ll launch it properly once we’re happy with it. We’ve taken all your feedback from various discussions to build it, so we hope you like it. If you’re interested, keep an eye on this thread for the next couple of weeks.

Here’s a screenshot of the work in progress so far:

It’s being built in Discourse, an open source community platform. It will fix a lot of the small bugs you can find in the existing community as well as bring it up to date. It also means we have more flexibility to add new things in the future.

Cheers,
Will

It's being built in Discourse, an open source community platform. It will fix a lot of the small bugs you can find in the existing community as well as bring it up to date. It also means we have more flexibility to add new things in the future.

Oooh @mowcius

Oooh @mowcius

Only about 2 years too late, and a few months too late for me. I’m an Octopus customer now…

Although it’s good news, it’s a tiny spec on the list of things that need to be improved before I think of moving back over.

I hope it will make it clearer that anyone who posts to the Community are not directly contacting the Bulb team? We have just too many posts on the Community discussing personal account and referral issues which none of us fellow customers are in the position to answer. It gets tiring to have to keep pointing customers who have these issues back to the Bulb contact points.

I don’t care what the UI is like.
The main thing that would improve the forum is to get rid of the same few people who seem to spend time every day here, and constantly post replies of dubious provenance and factual content.
A forum run by our energy supplier is an occasional support, not a full time hobby.

1 Like
UI?

UI?

User Interface.

User Interface.

Thanks.

I don't care what the UI is like. The main thing that would improve the forum is to get rid of the same few people who seem to spend time every day here, and constantly post replies of dubious provenance and factual content. A forum run by our energy supplier is an occasional support, not a full time hobby.

These few lurkers are simply pointing people to where they should have gone first.

Us forum regulars are fed up of answering the same query time and time again.

Some thread merges would be an absolute must.

These few lurkers are simply pointing people to where they should have gone first.

Us forum regulars are fed up of answering the same query time and time again.

Some thread merges would be an absolute must.

I was hoping @zapped would have provided a follow up response to offer further insight as what he considers a suitable alternative to us regular contributors offering appropriate advise to queries on the forum in the absence of the Bulb team?

@Allanr I seem to find you the most helpful posting hyperlinks straight to where people should have gone in the first place.

I have stopped short of posting multiple links to every thread with the same query.

@FromTheValleys

I’m getting closer to not responding to “please help me” postings on this Forum as Bulb seems to have abandoned their responsibility in answering queries which only they are best able to answer. Also there are no feedback from posters as to whether any suggestions we have made to their problems have been of any help.

@Allanr I’m feeling the same way. My contributions are not in the same league as yours, and some others, but having had only two or three acknowledgments in nearly two years is somewhat dispiriting.
As you say, Bulb seem to have more or less abandoned the forum, so I believe it is time to bring the matter to a head. Perhaps Bulb will wake up if you, and I, and @FromTheValleys @scudo @mowcius @Hooloovoo (and any regulars I may have omitted) stopped posting for, say, a trial month, and see if anything changes.
Tag: @“Eleanor at Bulb”

..... so I believe it is time to bring the matter to a head. Perhaps Bulb will wake up if you, and I, and @FromTheValleys @scudo @mowcius @Hooloovoo (and any regulars I may have omitted) stopped posting for, say, a trial month, and see if anything changes. Tag: @"Eleanor at Bulb"

I am with you on this.

@Allanr @198kHz agreed

Also with you on this.

I have been feeling this way for a few of months now particularly with regard to Smart meter and key issues.
When I think back to when I joined approx 2 years back there is certainly a decline in Bulb participation.

Bulb appear to be going in this direction with regard to customer service:

"There are several team members named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to do and everybody was asked to do it. Everybody was sure Somebody would do it, Anybody could have done it but Nobody did. Everyone was angry about that because it was Somebody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it but Nobody realised that everyone would not. in the end, Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Thanks for the responses chaps - that’s four of us thus far. Let’s see if anything changes by the end of the month…

Hi everyone,

We want to apologise that we haven’t been as active on Community and we’d have liked to have been. These past few months have been really busy for Bulb (as I’m sure that you’re aware), which has meant that some of the Bulb regulars have been working on different projects, myself and @“Eleanor at Bulb” at Bulb included.

This is going to change with the launch of our new platform. We understand that a successful Bulb Community needs active moderators to answer help & support queries, therefore we’re going to change the structure of our team to support this. The new Community is both an investment of staff time, just as much as it’s an investment into a new platform.

We also want to thank everyone for your massive contributions towards Community. Your help has been incredibly valuable to both Bulb and our members, and we’re sorry that we haven’t been able to communicate this. If you don’t want to answer help & support queries, please don’t feel any pressure to do so! We want you guys to visit Community to enjoy good conversation and we’re hoping you’ll stay around to kick this off on the new platform.

@“William at Bulb” it is nice to be appreciated and we’re probably all waiting on a revamped community. What would be awesome is like every other forum site I have visited is a way of either merging or closing duplicate threads pointing to already solved problems. It would clean up the community nicely.

Hey @FromTheValleys,

Part of the reason for switching to discourse, is the functionality to better manage help and support queries. Merging/linking threads will be available to staff on launch and can be rolled out to members if it helps solve duplicate posts.

Some of the other features that we’re thinking about are:

• Auto-suggesting similar articles
  • Nicely integrated links to our help centre / Bulb Account
  • Canned responses (save and repeat common replies)
I'd love to hear your thoughts on what else we can do to clean up the help & support area. We recognise that Smart is an area with a much needed scrub up, so any thoughts regarding that are more than welcome.