Seems crazy to me

Just had official meter man to read my gas meter. I am dual fuel. He said he had no instruction to read the electric meter. Where’s the sense in this ??

Hi @Cockapoo,

Bulb, like practically all utility companies, out-source the meter readings to a third party company (in Bulb’s case - Morrison Data Service - https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360015331911-Engineers-visiting-your-home-will-carry-an-ID ) who then go around an entire area reading all the appropriate meters: so they didn’t come specifically to read your personal meter, just all the ones in your area - so not that inefficient.

As to why he only read one meter… Well, the meter readers also tend to just do a ‘meter check’ as well and it could be down to training (he may have been trained/shown what all the fully functioning gas meters look like and how they behave and what actions to take if they are ‘not normal’, whereas he may not have gone through the electrical ones) or it might just be the electric meter didn’t need reading (Bulb only, IIRC, have an obligation to read meters every 2 [possibly 5] years - and if you previous supplier read your electric meter just before your switch over, it might not be ‘due’ a read yet (I believe MDS and others charge ‘per meter read’ so only reading/checking the ones that ‘need to’ be read makes some sense).

Meter reading is not done by Bulb it is done by separate companies one for gas and one for elec, so gas and elec work separately from one another.

Meter reading is not done by Bulb it is done by separate companies one for gas and one for elec, so gas and elec work separately from one another.

I thought Morrison Data Service did both energies. Which company reads the electricity meter?

Probably do but they never seem to do both at the same time so maybe they have separate divisions for gas / elec.