Self-contained fade-on LED lightbulb?

I just moved into an apartment, so I can’t install dimmer switches. So I’m looking for a warm white (2700k-ish) LED bulb that will fade up to full brightness over a second or two, rather than blasting you at full intensity as soon as the switch flips. Anyone know of anything that might work? All the research I’ve done keeps leading me to multi-color LED bulbs, or those kind that turn on slowly over an hour or so to simulate sunrise, or back to dimmer switches.

I have canister fixtures with a standard E26 base, so a standard size bulb up to a small flood lamp (BR30) will work.

Thanks in advance.
SHAREit Appvn

Hi @pistadarky983 and welcome to our Community :earth_asia:

I’ve seen before Philips have LED bulbs that can switch between different cool white light and a more warm glow. I believe you don’t need anything extra or a dimmer switch.

It looks like they sell them online at John Lewis which has 2 settings but there is also ones on Amazon which have three settings.

Let me know if this is the sort of thing you are looking for?

Hi there.
I only know of one bulb that fades in and out, and can even get you dimmer switches, without you doing any electrical work

Phillips hue.

When you turn them on, they fade into full brightness, over about 2 seconds. You don’t have to get the RGB (multicolour) ones, they sell them that can just adjust colour temperature.

The only issue with them - Price. Here is a starter kit of 3 bulbs on amazon. It’s £100 for 3 bulbs with the starter kit (you need a “hub”) then it come to about £20 pound a bulb, so there very expensive. They also work with smart home, if you into that wort of thing (Alexa, google home eta)

Sorry if this doesn’t help, but it was worth a shot.

Just curious as to why that is a requirement? Apart from longer life and lower running costs, one of the selling points of LEDs is their instant start, compared to the slow fade up of CFCs.
A quick Google didn’t find any E26 CFCs, or indeed many CFCs at all. LED dominates the market these days. I’ve never seen any mention of a ‘slow start’ LED bulb.

Because at night after a film eta, it isn’t nice suddenly being dazed with an ultra bright light. that’s at least my case for having a slow fade in. CFC’s take around a minute to get to full brightness which is too long.

:thinking: Rather a niche market then. :wink:
How did you manage when we only had tungsten or halogen?

Kept her eyes wide shut for 30s

@198kHz @skippy64
My old halogens were not 1500lm.

Not all LEDs are 1500lm.
Cheap solution - sunglasses worn on switch-on.
Even cheaper - cover eyes with hand(s) for a few seconds, then slowly remove.

I don’t care if not all LEDs are 1500lm, mine are. I like a bright light, especially when there’s dark mornings. I’m not talking about some 30 seconds fade on, maybe just over 3 to 5 seconds. You seem to be finding it really hard to accept that some people just want some things. I just want a bright light that doesn’t instantly blind you. I personally don’t have Phillips hue, I have some diall bulbs I got from b and q, that cost around £6 each on offer. I’d be reccermending them, but they have been discontinued.

We deleted your comment because we do not tolerate this sort of negativity towards other members who are putting forward ideas and knowledge. Please keep it friendly @skippy64

Ashame that some people can’t be nice, eh. I rearly see you delete comments, so god knows what that must of said.

The IKEA Tradfri bulbs are another option - https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/wireless-led-bulbs-36813/ - they are cheaper than Philips Hue - but are compatible with it (both use Zigbee).

I did try a cheap Zigbee RGBW bulb off Amazon too (it cost me £15) but was not impressed - the colour temperature of the white LEDs was rather cold - and it wasn’t possible to get a bright warm white light - as the RGB LEDs were a lot less powerful than the rather cold white ones.

But if you have bulbs that you can control the brightness and colour of wirelessly - e.g. Philips Hue and IKEA Tradfri - then I’d highly recommend integrating them with Home Assistant - https://www.home-assistant.io/ - where you can install Hassio on a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 - https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio - and you can define transitions where the light fades in and out over a period of time that you can choose and configure. It’s amazingly powerful!