set up a new account without switch


We have a property rented out. The tenants switched to Bulb during the tenancy and now they just moved out. I understand that Bulb will still supply elec and gas to our property and I will be responsible to the bill until we find a new tenant.

However I don’t have a bulb account to manage the meter readings and bills. I called the customer service and was advised to set up an account on the website. The only option on website to setup a new account involves question of switching supplier. However our supplier is already Bulb.

Could you please advise?

Many thanks,