Smart meter and PV panels

Hi. we have recently been offered conversion to a smart meter.
we have 3.8KW PV panels installed in 2011. and these have been super so far.
Although I am with Bulb for electric ,i am still paid my FIT payments by Scottish Power.
How will having a smart meter affect my Fit payments as part of it is paid on ‘Deemed Usage’ of 50%.
will this be affected.
Thanks
Pete nelson

Hi. we have recently been offered conversion to a smart meter. we have 3.8KW PV panels installed in 2011. and these have been super so far. Although I am with Bulb for electric ,i am still paid my FIT payments by Scottish Power. How will having a smart meter affect my Fit payments as part of it is paid on 'Deemed Usage' of 50%. will this be affected. Thanks Pete nelson

It won’t if you don’t move the FIT provider. Your energy supplier and FIT provider are two different things. I’ve moved energy supplier several times since having my 3.95KWp feed in tariff solar panels in 2011 and have never moved the FIT provider who is still the same energy supplier I had back in 2011.

Bulb are starting to take enquiries I think about taking on your FIT if you want, but so far I see no benefit to doing so. I had a smart meter installed last week and was pleasantly surprised to see it recorded export too (and the in home display show’s when you are pushing back to the grid and the current rate, which is great for knowing optimum time to put on the washing machine), this means we have essentially a free export meter. I intend to track over the next 12 months if my real export is more than the deemed 50% export and if so will investigate moving the FIT to bulb if they pay actual export, if not then I’ll keep it as is. win/win.

Found these for you

1. https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360018597811-What-is-an-export-meter- (officially says some smart meters have export meter built in like mine does)
  2. https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360018591751-How-are-FIT-payments-calculated- (says if you have an export meter then they will pay actual exported amount instead of 50% deemed rate)