Smart Meter Application

On my online account there is no option to apply for a smart meter. When I look at my previous readings it shows that readings have been obtained from a smart meter, which obviously I haven’t got. I applied for one on my father’s account a few weeks ago and this was done online but it’s not an option on my account. Can anyone shed any light on why I can’t apply for one?

Hi @metty :wave:

Welcome to Bulb Community!

According to your account, there is a SMETS1 smart electricity meter at the property. The gas however is non-smart.

As Bulb doesn’t install SMETS1 meters, if you did want to upgrade both, there would be a charge to remove the old SMETS1 meter, as it isn’t faulty.

You can drop us an email to help@bulb.co.uk or give us a call on 0300 303 0635 if you’d prefer to talk it through.

Thanks,
Cara :bulb:

There isnt a smart meter at my address and there never has been in the 4 years that I have lived here. I have always submitted my reading online. The last time I looked at my meter readings history I saw that it said smart meter reading when in fact it was estimated. Up until a month ago I was receiving emails from yourselves asking me if I wanted a smart meter and that option was also on my account.

Regards
John

I have been speaking to a representative and apparently I do have a smart meter on my electricity but it is an old type which you have just activated after 4yrs of inactivity. It doesn’t have a remote display which tells me how much I am using which defeats the object. I have been told that I can have a smart meter on my gas free of charge but if I want a modern sm on my electric meter then I have to pay for it myself. I thought the whole point of smart meters was to check the usage and therefore save energy, obviously not. I have been with Bulb for 4yrs and I would have thought that the fitting would be free as it is with old style meters. I will be contacting other energy suppliers to see if any other offer free fitting.

Regards.

Hi @metty :wave:

My colleague seems to have further explained what I mentioned above :point_up_2:

There is a SMETS1 smart electricity meter at the property. The gas however is non-smart. Even if we were just to upgrade the gas to SMETS2, it wouldn’t work as the meters wouldn’t be able to communicate with each other. A Bulb IHD also wouldn’t work with your current SMETS1 electricity meter.

If you did want to upgrade both, there would be a charge to remove the old SMETS1 meter, as it isn’t faulty. There would be no cost for the gas, however.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cara :bulb: