Smart meter charges me 0.25p at midnight

Hello everyone, my first post and it’s about my newly installed smart meter.

I have it for the past 3 days, and I’m quite conscious about how much electricity I’m using so overnight I kill every switch. Apart from my water heater tank and my fridge.

Just so you know, I live alone in a one bedroom flat.

On Saturday, I woke up to see I was charged 0.43p, and ended the day with 0.90p.
Last night, I went to bed just after midnight, and discovered that at midnight I was already charged 0.25p… out of nowhere.
This morning I woke up being charged 0.60p, when yesterday’s usage entirely was 0.90p I find that very odd and hard to explain as I kill everything running in my flat.

I can’t really explain or check what is going on, the app is useless and the IHD doesn’t offer more to check.

That’ll be your day’s standing charge being added at midnight - gas should do the same :slight_smile:

Thank you for your answer, that explains one thing.

Something else is bothering me though, I can see that in the SmartThings app that yesterday I used 3.81kWh in total for the day.

This morning I woke up to see on the IHD that I used already 4.82kWh.

When everything was exactly the same as yesterday. The only thing that will activate overnight is my electrical water tank.

Too bad I can’t upload pictures, I really don’t understand how overnight I can use more energy than yesterday, especially when almost everything’s off.

Perhaps you could of drawn off more hot water the day before so used more electricity to heat more cold water in the tank, don’t forget that a KWh is about 24 pence depending on your tariff.

Hi @lemarcus,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Have you had anymore luck with your IHD?

If you want to send photos across, you could email these through to help@bulb.co.uk. I’ll then be able to take a look for you and investigate further.

Hi @smarty1972 - Welcome to community :wave: great point!