Smart meter compatibility

I’d like to move from Ovo, will my smart meter be compatible (does your trial use secure meters UK)?

Hi @damiankahya

For now, we are not able to remotely read your smart meter like your current supplier. You would need to read the meter manually and submit the readings in our online portal. This is because the smart meter you have installed is first generation and unfortunately each different make of first generation meter requires a different piece of software to communicate with it.
The good news is that second generation meters are not far off and will communicate through a central system (getting rid of the need for lots of software!).
Ofgem have plans to make first generation smart meters compatible with the central system, but this functionality won’t be available until late 2018. At Bulb, we’ve made the decision to wait and only install second generation meters for our members so they can be confident that if they choose to switch to another supplier their smart meter will still work. We are able to take on Secure Meters.

Thanks
James

I am likewise thinking of moving from OVO. Does the same situation apply in that my smart meter would work with Bulb, but I would need to supply you with the numbers?

Thanks,
Ian

Hi @Millvain - exactly, we won’t be able to read it remotely at the moment so we’ll need you to submit your meter readings manually through our super simple online portal :slight_smile: