Smart meter display

Does anyone know when on earth Bulb are going to distribute smart meter displays?
Giving manual readings from my smart meters is a total pain in the backside, especially the gas one.
I won’t be giving it much longer before switching to another supplier who will give me a display immediately.
Or can Bulb support the display we have already, which has the SECURE brand on it?

Does anyone know when on earth Bulb are going to distribute smart meter displays?

Can I politely suggest that you read some of the “Announcement” threads on the community before asking a question? This same question gets asked two or three times a day.

See: http://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/9027/update-we-ve-started-installing-smart-meters-in-our-members-homes#latest

Giving manual readings from my smart meters is a total pain in the backside, especially the gas one. I won't be giving it much longer before switching to another supplier who will give me a display immediately. Or can Bulb support the display we have already, which has the SECURE brand on it?

Since you already have a smart meter installed by another supplier, you should already have the In Home Display (IHD) that came with it. Why aren’t you using that? The cost information that IHD gives you will not be correct because it doesn’t know the values from the Bulb tariff, but it will still tell you the amount of energy you’ve used in kWh and also should allow you to access your remote meter readings so that it’s easy for you to then submit them manually to Bulb.

Bulb can currently read about 1/3 of the installed SMETS1 meter stock. Attempts to communicate these meters is prioritised to those who have requested to use the time-of-use smart tariff: https://bulb.co.uk/smart/

Even if Bulb can read your existing SMETS1 meter, they won’t be giving you an IHD because you should already have one provided when the meters were originally installed.

If Bulb can’t read your SMETS1 meter, then at some point between now and end of 2020 they will replace your smart meters with new SMETS2 smart meters, and those certainly will come with a new IHD.

Sorry the answer is rather more complicated than you probably expected or wanted!

Ah, that’s an interesting point.
If the current display at least allows me to get meter readings without grovelling around on the ground for manual readings, that will be good.,
We unplugged the display because it more or less went blank when we switched, it hadn’t occurred to me to use it for meter readings only.

The display we have doesn’t display meter readings. So until Bulb give me their meter/display, I’m back to grovelling around in spider infested , ground level boxes for manual readings. I really wish I’d known this before joining, I’d have gone elsewhere.

The display we have doesn't display meter readings.

That’s a shame. What model of IHD do you have?

So until Bulb give me their meter/display,

As I said, you might not get a new IHD if Bulb can eventually read+enroll your existing SMETS1 meter some time this year. But then you’d be back on automatic readings so it wouldn’t matter anyway.

I'm back to grovelling around in spider infested , ground level boxes for manual readings. I really wish I'd known this before joining, I'd have gone elsewhere.

It’s well known and well publicised in the media that SMETS1 meters “go dumb” when switching supplier. This is not supplier specific. No matter who you switch to you’d have the same problem. To make it worse, even if you switch back to the same supplier that originally installed the meter, in some cases even they still can’t re-start the automatic readings. Great, isn’t it?

At least with the SMETS2 meters that Bulb are now installing, this problem doesn’t happen.