Smart meter - eco 7 - elec cars

Hi there, I am buying an electric car, so am keen to be charging at the cheapest rates.

Could tell me:

1: What are the rates kWh currently on economy 7

2: I see smart meters are to be rolled out where econ 7 can be switched for free - is there a way of getting my name down for early adoption please?

3: what are the economy 7 hours please?

4: Are you considering a plan whereby the car can charge when market prices are at their lowest (when demand is low or production too high I believe) - obviously this shall also have the benefit of helping to balance the grid demand, so seems to make sense.

Thank you in advance for your time - and I am sure this shall help others too.

Regards

Hey @Timo23. All good questions.

1. The economy-7-meter rates vary slightly depending on your region. You can pop your postcode on our tariff page on our webiste. It’ll give you the current unit rates and standing charge.

2. Once you’ve signed up, we can pop your name on the smart meter programme. We’ll start rolling them out at the end of 2018 and get you fitted with one as soon as we can.

3. Economy 7 hours are usually between 0030-0730. However, this does vary between meters. If you could send a picture of your meter to help@bulb.co.uk, we’ll be able to tell you what your meter hours are. Make sure we can see the meter serial number. This is displayed on the front of the meter.

4. This is not something that we are currently implementing. However, Bulb Labs have been up to some interesting research about the future of energy usage and reduction. You can check out some of the insights here. There is reduced demand during the economy 7 hours which is why we can offer a significantly cheaper night rate.

Hope this answers your questions. Fire back if there is anything left unanswered.

Thank you for those answers - very useful indeed :slight_smile:

May I ask where I would sign up for the smart meter rollout as you recommended please?

Thank you for those answers - very useful indeed :-)

May I ask where I would sign up for the smart meter rollout as you recommended please?

As per: