Smart meter installation problems or No problems?

Installation date - 23/08/2019
Location - North East
Equipment installed - Electricity meter - Landis & Gyr E470 Type 5424
Gas Meter - None
Comms Hub on E meter - EDMI STANDARD 420
IHD - IHD6-CAD-PPMID 1.1 CAD 1.7
Signal strength - Varies from 1 to 4 seems to be irrespective of being moved. Mostly 1 however this is even if I place the IHD directly on top of the hub inside the meter cabinet. I’ve reset the IHD a number of times. It’s also connected to my WiFi so should update firmware if necessary.
Between IHD and E meter - normally 3m.
Is Bulb getting your data via DCC - Don’t know yet.
Did it all work at anytime or not at all - The IHD intermittently shows usage data but this is rare. On the rare occasions it shows data the signal strength can be only 1 bar. It is usually showing “Electricity data unavailable” or “Connection lost”.
Prior to changeover I was on Bulb Vary-Fair Eco7. The Meter now shows I’m on a single tariff of the higher daytime tariff of 15p. I’m fine to go with a single tariff but hope Bulb will change my tariff to the cheaper single rate.

UPDATE 28/8/19. For no apparent reason the IHD now seems to be working fine.

I’m on a dual rate tariff, code on the bill is 805.

Meter installation date: 06 August 2019
Electricity meter: Landis+Gyr E470 Type 5424
Gas meter: Landis+Gyr G470 672 SMETS2
Comms hub: Toshiba SKU1 Cellular
IHD: Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID
Software: IHD6-CAD-PPMID 1.0 CAD 1.6
Signal strength: 4 bars
IHD is also connected to home WiFi, and it shows the correct time.
Gas meter is around 5 meters from the electricity meter, through a brick cavity wall. IHD is 3 meters from electricity meter.

Comms hub LEDs labelled SW, WAN, HAN are flashing slowly. The ones labelled MESH and GAS are not flashing.

Is Bulb getting data? Not sure, looks unlikely. I’ve spoken to them and agreed they could read the meter daily, but the Dashboard energy usage page says “We don’t have enough data to draw a graph yet”. I can see my last customer readings from the old meters (two electricity readings and one gas), then on the installation date (which was three weeks ago), there are three “customer” readings - two are clearly final readings from the old dual rate meter, the next is a zero “customer” reading for electricity followed by a “smart” reading the same day of “1”. The following day there are two “smart” electricity readings of “16” and “0”. And nothing since then. There are no “smart” readings for gas at all, nor is there a final reading from the old gas meter that I can see.

I’ve been through the website process to restart the IHD several times, with no discernible results. The IHD shows only a single electricity rate, with all consumption allocated to it, and there’s no gas information at all - never has been. The Siemens engineer who installed the equipment said there was a problem with commissioning the gas side, but indicated that it would sort itself out within a few days. Fat chance.

Meter reading on the IHD continues to show just one number for electricity, presumably this is the total consumption. Tariff info in IHD reflects the dual rate daytime price.

The whole reason I’m on dual rate is that I have solar PV and I charge an electric car overnight, so normally my usage has been around 60% night and 40% day. If I’m going to be billed for it all at the day rate I’ll be rather cross.

I really wish I hadn’t agreed to have this stupid meter installed.

Hi Mark,
I have a similar experience to you (though my IHD does work fine for both elec and gas, 90% of the time).

Very similar sequence of events in my online meter reading and graph, but then since yesterday my daily readings have been displayed (in the graph, not in the list of readings), so my readings must be getting back to bulb:

location - London
Equipment installed - Electricity meter - Landis & Gyr E470,
Gas Meter - Landis & Gyr G470, EDMI GS-60A,
Comms Hub on E meter - Toshiba SKU1
IHD - IIHD3-CAD-PPMID
Signal strength - all bars - about 3 metres IHD to meters
Is Bulb getting your data via DCC: Yes
Did it all work at anytime or not at all: IDH works 90% of the time, sometimes loses signal for 10 minutes or so, and then reconnects.

Are Bulb getting readings? Don’t know, but I now have a daily usage graph updating on my Bulb My Account page which seems to reflect my actual usage, so I think they are.

Thanks for the response Dan. As of today, the website dashboard usage page now shows a couple of bars on a chart of electricity usage but as in your case the list of readings doesn’t include the ones shown on the chart. The chart just has a single number for each day, a monetary value, not kWh of energy used. So I still can’t tell whether Bulb are honouring my dual rate tariff. And there’s still no gas info, instead I get a message telling me I will need to manually read the gas meter.
This is not what I signed up for. I want my old meters back!

Gas Meter: G470
Electric Meter: E470
Installed 13th March '19

Never worked. Comms hub was down on day of install so it couldn’t be connected to it. Don’t even have the portable unit. Was told an installer would be back within a few days, this has now changed to …??? Still have to take manual readings. Complete waste of time from my point of view. ‘Coincidentally’ our gas & electric usage seems to have increased quite significantly ever since installation, with bulb declaring on each reading submission ‘ooh that’s more than we expected, let’s increase your monthly payments’.

One minor step forward for me. Now daily smart meter readings are appearing on my “Readings” page for gas. Not yet for electricity.

For the last week the IHD has worked perfectly.

location - southwest

Equipment installed - Electricity meter - Landis & Gyr E470

Comms Hub on E meter - it says Toshiba SKU1 cellular

IHD - IHD6-CAD-PPMID

Signal strength - bars showing - distances between meters, between IHD and E meter Yes shows 3 or 4 bars, about 4 feet from meter

Is Bulb getting your data via DCC, not sure what this means but I can see data on the website and this has been reasonably consistent(only missed one day). Only shows graph, not units used. No actual readings show on website since final readings on old meter

Did it all work at anytime or not at all - part worked from day one no change since still works partly. For me IHD knows nothing about off peak rates or units and meter seems to have no off peak info during day and no peak info during night it does know the correct rate for peak and off peak I also do not know when off peak times are.

Customer number CIN shows 00000 which suggests to me that bulb have maybe not completed the set up of my account on the meter

I think everyone has customer number CIN 00000. I think the CIN number is to support advanced features where your IHD talks directly to Bulb via wifi (currently it doesn’t) to provide more detailed information than the meters themselves. Bulb haven’t got as far as enabling this yet.

I am absolutely disgusted with the…
I am absolutely disgusted with the incompetence of Bulb energy over the installation of my smart meters. Meters were installed however they did not have any In Home Displays (iHD) and I was told to contact Bulb.I contacted Bulb and was constantly fobbed off with reasons why I had not received an IHD. It took 5 months of constant phone calls and emails and eventually an IHD turned up in the post great!!! The excitement was short lived as the IHD does not work. Back on the phone to Bulb and more fobbing with excuses and told to try different remedies and to wait 48 hours for the process to work. 4 weeks on and still I have a dumb non working IHD!!! and no contact from Bulb as promised??? Absolutely useless customer service with research showing I am not the only customer with this problem there are loads. DO NOT HAVE SMART METERS INSTALLED BY THIS COMPANY. EVEN BETTER CHABGE SUPPLIER!!

Thanks for the response Dan. As of today, the website dashboard usage page now shows a couple of bars on a chart of electricity usage but as in your case the list of readings doesn't include the ones shown on the chart. The chart just has a single number for each day, a monetary value, not kWh of energy used. So I still can't tell whether Bulb are honouring my dual rate tariff. And there's still no gas info, instead I get a message telling me I will need to manually read the gas meter. This is not what I signed up for. I want my old meters back!

Bulb are having problems remotely commissioning the gas meters. I spoke to someone on the phone late last week and they have, at their suggestion registered a complaint on my behalf to try and push it up the priority list. If they cannot resolve the problem within 8 weeks, they will have to give me a deadlock letter, which I can, should I choose, take to the energy Ombudsman.

Help please. I had a smart meter, electricity and gas, fitted on the 23rd September. I was on economy 7 with my old meter. My bulb account shows a 2 tarrif rate. However, my new smartmeter and IHD only displays 1 rate? I have been in touch with Bulb by phone and email but as yet no change. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a solution.

Help please. I had a smart meter, electricity and gas, fitted on the 23rd September. I was on economy 7 with my old meter. My bulb account shows a 2 tarrif rate. However, my new smartmeter and IHD only displays 1 rate? I have been in touch with Bulb by phone and email but as yet no change. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a solution.

I’m in exactly the same situation (except with no gas - I’m in a flat that’s electric only) - I chose to stick with single rate post-smart-meter as it worked out cheaper for my usage profile (~60% daytime). The display on my smart meter (the meter not the IHD, which has never connected) displays the rate 01 and rate 02 readings at the appropriate time of day, but there’s no way to get the readings from cycling the display.

What’s your day/night ratio? It might work out cheaper to stick to single rate if over 55% daytime!

For ref the flat used to have storage heaters but I ripped those out and replaced with flat panel ones a few years ago, hence my nighttime use went down and daytime went up - but not by as much in KwH as the flat panels are more efficient.

I have. Exactly the same problem as you. They actually switched me to a single rate tariff without my permission as well.
Bulb do not seem able to resolve this - they just say “wait for our smart tariff to be launched”.
I would suggest that you do as I have done which is to go back through your previous bills and readings and establish what percentage of your electricity was being used overnight. You can then work out what you should be being charged on split rate and compare this to what you will actually be being charged by Bulb on a single rate. Bulb will have to compensate you for the difference.
As for getting a response from Bulb by email or a resolution following a phone call well … don’t hold your breath!

Location: Hampshire I'm on a dual rate tariff, code on the bill is 805.

Meter installation date: 06 August 2019
Electricity meter: Landis+Gyr E470 Type 5424
Gas meter: Landis+Gyr G470 672 SMETS2
Comms hub: Toshiba SKU1 Cellular
IHD: Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID
Software: IHD6-CAD-PPMID 1.0 CAD 1.6
Signal strength: 4 bars
IHD is also connected to home WiFi, and it shows the correct time.
Gas meter is around 5 meters from the electricity meter, through a brick cavity wall. IHD is 3 meters from electricity meter.

Comms hub LEDs labelled SW, WAN, HAN are flashing slowly. The ones labelled MESH and GAS are not flashing.

Is Bulb getting data? Not sure, looks unlikely. I’ve spoken to them and agreed they could read the meter daily, but the Dashboard energy usage page says “We don’t have enough data to draw a graph yet”. I can see my last customer readings from the old meters (two electricity readings and one gas), then on the installation date (which was three weeks ago), there are three “customer” readings - two are clearly final readings from the old dual rate meter, the next is a zero “customer” reading for electricity followed by a “smart” reading the same day of “1”. The following day there are two “smart” electricity readings of “16” and “0”. And nothing since then. There are no “smart” readings for gas at all, nor is there a final reading from the old gas meter that I can see.

I’ve been through the website process to restart the IHD several times, with no discernible results. The IHD shows only a single electricity rate, with all consumption allocated to it, and there’s no gas information at all - never has been. The Siemens engineer who installed the equipment said there was a problem with commissioning the gas side, but indicated that it would sort itself out within a few days. Fat chance.

Meter reading on the IHD continues to show just one number for electricity, presumably this is the total consumption. Tariff info in IHD reflects the dual rate daytime price.

The whole reason I’m on dual rate is that I have solar PV and I charge an electric car overnight, so normally my usage has been around 60% night and 40% day. If I’m going to be billed for it all at the day rate I’ll be rather cross.

I really wish I hadn’t agreed to have this stupid meter installed.

Bulb do not seem able to resolve this - they just say “wait for our smart tariff to be launched”.
I would suggest that you do as I have done which is to go back through your previous bills and readings and establish what percentage of your electricity was being used overnight. You can then work out what you should be being charged on split rate and compare this to what you will actually be being charged by Bulb on a single rate. Bulb will have to compensate you for the difference.
As for getting a response from Bulb by email or a resolution following a phone call well … don’t hold your breath!

Installed on 1st October

Electricity meter: Landis & Gyr E470
Gas meter: Landis & Gyr G470
Comms hub: Toshiba SKU1
IHD: IHD6-CAD-PPMID
Meter mobile signal strength: 3 bars
IHD signal strength: 4 bars (in the same room as the meters)
Distance between meters: 1m

Since it has only just been installed I don’t know whether or not Bulb is receiving the data yet.

The IHD started reporting both electricity and gas usage almost straight away. I configured it to connect to my WiFi network but it seems to be in a constant state of attempting to connect.

I would like to stay on the standard tariff for now, rather than move to the smart one but it’s unclear whether or not my account will show detailed usage information when on the standard tariff.

The new meter seems to be capable of handling solar export because it’s recording units exported and the IHD is displaying:

Smart Meters installed 11th November 2019
Location - Cambridge
Equipment installed - Electricity meter - Landis & Gyr E470 Type 5424
Gas Meter - Landis & Gyr G470
Comms Hub on E meter - WNC SKU1
IHD - IHD6-CAD-PPMID. Seems quite good other than the battery life seems dreadful!
Signal strength - 3 bars showing.
Distances between meters - 50cm
Distance between IHD and E meter - 10m.
Is Bulb getting your data via DCC - Looks like it, graphs are showing up daily on my Bulb account online.
Did it all work at anytime or not at all - The IHD works fine, showing both gas and electricity.
Other - They seem to have switched me from dual tariff (Economy 7) to a single rate, which I was neither warned about nor requested.
The Siemens engineer who fitted the meters also checked my boiler and gas fire in the lounge. As it was over 7kW he declared it unsafe and disconnected it! I found this a bit odd, given we have it and the boiler maintained by a CORGI / Gas Safe registered engineer each year, but we don’t use it so just let him get on with it.

I’m disappointed Bulb didn’t inform me that the tariff was going to change.

The main reason for me to switch to a Smart meter was the hope that I could get at the data and hence do some calculations on it, rather than just take my weekly readings…
Does anyone know if we can download the data from anywhere?

Ah, sorry, just answered my own question, looks like they are working on it:

Can I access my smart meter data?
We’re making a number of changes to your Bulb Account so that you can view all of your smart meter data. Initially, this will be via charts and insights. Shortly after, we want to make your data available to you (and only you) via a CSV download and an API.
from here:
Bulb and smart meters

IHD - IHD6-CAD-PPMID. Seems quite good other than the battery life seems dreadful!

The battery is only supposed to last an hour - the IHD is designed to be left plugged in.

Other - They seem to have switched me from dual tariff (Economy 7) to a single rate, which I was neither warned about nor requested.

Have they switched you to the standard tariff or the smart one?

Is Bulb getting your data via DCC - Looks like it, graphs are showing up daily on my Bulb account online.

I still see no automatic readings from mine since it was installed over a month ago despite numerous emails sent to Bulb.

Does anyone know if we can download the data from anywhere?

This is a good question. I’ve managed to get my IHD connected to the Samsung SmartThings app - there may be a module you can install that will export data from there?

Have they switched you to the standard tariff or the smart one?

Standard (I think) and offered me to upgrade to the smart one with three different rates - which I don’t really want to do until I have the data and can do the calculations. If I can, I’d quite like to move as a Time Of User Tariff will help the grid in general and I have an ASHP so can shift electricity usage to cheaper times.

I still see no automatic readings from mine since it was installed over a month ago despite numerous emails sent to Bulb.

The list of Readings doesn’t show anything particularly recent, but the graphs have been updated daily, so they must be getting at least daily data and, if they are offering me the Smart tariff, they must think they’re getting the half hour readings: