Smart Meter Installed today!

Afternoon!

Thought I’d join the community and give some feedback and thoughts on my smart meter installation that’s been completed this morning.

Hats off to Morrison Data Services, efficient and friendly service from them! The chap called beforehand as he was concerned with the terrible weather (persistent rain in the north east this morning) - pulling 100A fuses in the wet is never a good idea. Both my Gas and Electricity meters are on the outside of the property, given the forecast for the next few days I expect there will be a few postponed appointments out there.

After speaking with him on the phone he turned up and decided it was sheltered enough to carry out the install for mine, I gave him a large parasol to work under which kept him dry.

Within a couple of hours the install was all complete and my IHD is already showing electricity usage (still waiting on Gas) - initially I was very confused that there was no power connection to the gas meter but after doing some googling I discovered its battery powered (for obvious reasons!). I do wonder how hard it will be to arrange battery replacement in 10 to 20 years time however.

I look forward to everything syncing up with my account properly and enjoying all the benefits of smart meters but from reading here and elsewhere I believe that could take a couple of months.

4 Likes

AIUI, the batteries fitted to gas smart meters are expected to last for the lifetime of the meter, but can be replaced by a meter engineer if necessary.

1 Like

Hi @cjandrew,

Firstly, I want to give you a warm welcome to Bulb Community, I tip my hat off to you! :tophat:

Secondly, we’re really happy to know your smart meter installation went smoothly, we will pass on your great feedback to Morrison Data Services (MDS)!

In regards to your gas meter, if we’re unable to replace the battery due to having none in stock, we will replace the whole meter. But as @stevefoster rightfully said, they’re designed to last the entire lifetime of the meter. Hopefully in 10 to 20 years time there will be more advanced smart meters :crossed_fingers:

But do let us know in a few weeks whether your gas meter is still having issues connecting to the Smart network and we’ll look into this for you :male_detective:

Ours was fitted this morning too, again, a very efficient job. I had the same query about how the gas meter was getting power!

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Good to know that the gas meter battery is expected to last the lifetime of the meter. :+1:

I’ll keep an eye on things regarding the IHD for the gas but my expectations are now set having done some research on how this process works so I will be patient!

IHD is already connected to the WiFi - seems like a nice little device! I look forward to running around the house waving it at the family to show them how much energy can be saved by switching lights off etc.

Hi @gazzaman28

Welcome to the Bulb community! Delighted to see you’ve managed to get your answer so easily, any other questions fire 'em our way :battery:

Hi @cjandrew

It can take a little while for the IHD to show both usages, but if you’re ever concerned it’s been a tad too long we’re happy to lend a hand :raised_hand:

The IHD is perfect for that sort of thing, I can certainly remember my housemate doing something similar when we first got one…what cough good cough memories :sweat_smile:

Hi, hijacking the thread :slight_smile:
My meter was fitted a few days ago and the electric and gas was showing on the display, the electric dropped off after the battery went dead and is now gone, only gas showing, any ideas? It’s positioned right next to the meter. Thx

Had my meter fitted on Monday 21st September, electric only and ihd has never worked. Just displays static data.

I’ve been through the help pages and keep getting message ‘We have reset your meter it will start working in 24-48 hours’

I’ve also had 2 brief power cuts since, is that just coincidence?

@Ronny sounds like your IHD is working, it just needs a little push to fully connect to your meters. Please could you follow this link and fill in the details of the issue?

Once you’ve sent that in we’ll try and fix your IHD overnight, so it should start working within 24 hours. Make sure you keep your IHD turned on and within 5m of your electricity meter overnight and restart it in the morning if nothing has changed.

If this doesn’t work, please try following the steps in your Bulb account again on a different date (the fix sometimes works the second time). If it’s still not working after 2 attempts, let us know.

@slngshotx Unfortunately it doesn’t look like your IHD was commissioned onto the smart network. It’s an easy fix and we just require you to press a few buttons. I’ll send you an email now with a little more info.

Thanks for quick reply, I’ve emailed info you need.

Thanks

I’ve had my smart meters & IHD for over 2 years and they’re stil not sending Gas readings. Could you please tell me this will be working.

Hey @DavieMc welcome back :wave:

I’ve just requested for the communications hub (bit on top of the electricity meter that we communicate with) to be rebooted. This should hopefully kickstart your gas meter into sending us readings :+1:

It takes around a month for this to be done as the request has to go to the DCC (smart network).

Hi Sophiem, Thank you very much for the reply, hopefully it will start working

1 Like